Jury Gets Case In Trial Of Mother Accused In Sons’ Deaths
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (CBS4)- The jury has received the case in the trial for a young mother accused of killing her sons.
After receiving instructions in the Grand Junction courtroom on Wednesday afternoon, jurors left for the day. They will return Thursday to begin deliberations.
Heather Jensen has been charged with negligent homicide, false reporting and child abuse resulting in death in the deaths of her sons William, 2, and Tyler, 4.
The boys were found unconscious after their mother left them inside an SUV near the Powderhorn Ski Area in Nov. 2012. They died after overheating in the locked SUV.
Police said she abandoned them to have sex with a man in another vehicle.
Jensen’s husband died in a car accident six weeks before his sons died.
Now his parents, Robert and Diane Mathena, are seeking justice.
“It’s been horrible for us, a devastating year and a half that’s for sure,” said Robert. “Don’t want to see her anymore. I want her out of our lives.”
Experiments conducted by the Mesa County Sheriff’s Office show the inside of that SUV could reach temperatures of 145 degrees with the heater on full blast.
“If she’s found guilty of all five charges that would be great,” said Robert.
The Mathenas visit the grave site where their son and grandsons are buried nearly every day.
Heather Jensen Story Archive
- Heather Jensen Acquitted Of Negligence In SUV Deaths Of Her Sons
- Jury Deliberating Fate Of Mother Accused In Sons’ Deaths
- Jury Gets Case In Trial Of Mother Accused In Sons’ Deaths
- Trial Begins For Mother Accused In Sons’ Deaths
- Jury Selection Underway For Mother Accused In Sons’ Deaths
- Plea Deal Possible For Mother Who Left Kids In Car With Heat On
- Mother Accused In Deaths Of Children May Strike Deal To Avoid Trial
- Mother Charged In Children’s Deaths Asks For Different Attorney
- Brothers Who Died After Being Locked In SUV Finally Laid To Rest
- Grandmother Wins Right To Bury Mesa County Boys, Funeral Plans Set
- DA Explains Why He ‘Took So Long’ In Deciding To Charge Mother
- Mom Charged In Deaths Of Boys Won’t Fight Extradition
- Mother In Mesa County Children Deaths Case Arrested In Florida
- Surprising Autopsy Report On Brothers Has Relative Concerned
- Jensen Brothers To Be Remembered At Littleton Park