DENVER (CBS4) – Denver Mayor Michael Hancock had some fun on “United in Orange” Friday showing off his team spirit.
In a video he posted to YouTube in the afternoon the huge Broncos fan is seen wearing an orange foam hand, polishing a “Broncos Blvd.” sign, playing football in the hall and attaching Broncos pins to people coming into the Denver City and County Building and installing orange and blue lights on the outside.
Hancock previously asked Broncos fans to show their fan spirit by wearing orange for the day to get everyone excited in advance of Sunday’s divisional playoff game against the San Diego Chargers at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
Hancock has placed a friendly mayor-to-mayor wager on the postseason game with San Diego interim-Mayor Todd Gloria. If the Chargers lose, Gloria will send Denver a tasting of some of Mexican food from San Diego. If the Broncos lose, Hancock will send Gloria a sampling of Denver green chile.
Fans will see lots of Broncos team spirit over the weekend thanks to the City and County of Denver, including:
– Lighting the City and County Building with beginning Friday through game day;
– Illuminating the DIA sign on Peña Boulevard in orange and programming overhead signs to cheer “Go Broncos;”
– Supporting “United in Orange, Time to Ride Friday” by asking city employees to don their best Broncos garb and buttons;
– Greeting DIA passengers with a Broncos message from John Elway on the train and adorning DIA employees and ambassadors with “United in Orange, Time to Ride” buttons; and
– Encouraging downtown building owners and businesses throughout the city to display orange and blue lights and Broncos signs.
Downtown Denver Partnership, VISIT DENVER, Larimer Square, the National Western Stock Show and Elitch Gardens are also getting into the spirit by:
– Lighting the D&F Tower in orange and blue lights;
– Hanging Broncos banners along the 16th Street Mall and in Larimer Square;
– Lighting the Elitch Gardens Ferris Wheel orange and blue;
– Broadcasting 850KOA’s live game coverage over the Southwest Rink at Skyline Park sound system for ice skaters to enjoy;
– Offering free skating and skate rentals at the Rink located on Arapahoe and 16th Street to skaters who wear orange or a Broncos gear! The Rink opens at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Early risers can get free lessons and skate rentals from 8 to 10 a.m.; and
– Flying Broncos flags during National Western Stock Show rodeos.
RELATED: Pick Best Broncos Fan
Watch Sunday’s AFC Divisional Playoff game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on CBS4. Kickoff is at 2:40 p.m.