CASTLE ROCK, Colo. (CBS4/AP) — Relatives of other murder victims have joined the father of a Colorado prison guard in protesting the death penalty in Castle Rock.
Bob Autobee has been a constant presence outside the court there this week as potential jurors line up for the upcoming trial of the inmate accused of killing his son, Eric Autobee, over a decade ago.
On Wednesday, the husband of Mary Ricard, a guard killed by another inmate, and a cousin of Colleen O’Connor, who was killed by Nathan Dunlap, also held up signs stating their opposition.
“Because God tells us that it is (wrong to kill). He says ‘thou shalt not kill,’ and I know my wife wouldn’t want somebody killed,” Tim Ricard said.
District Attorney George Brauchler plans to seek the death penalty against Edward Montour if jurors convict him. Montour originally pleaded guilty and was sentenced to death but won a new trial. He has now pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.
“Everybody thinks that because we don’t want the death penalty that we shouldn’t punish these individuals. Of course they need to be punished,” Autobee said.
Last month a meeting took place between Autobee and the man who has admitted killing his son, Montour.
“It’s a time for forgiving, and it’s a time to move on,” Autobee told Montour.
“I am deeply, deeply sorry for the pain I caused you and your family for killing your son,” Montour replied.
A statement from the district attorney’s office said if people were approaching jurors outside a courthouse and telling them to convict someone that would be seen as unfair.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)