GOLDEN, Colo. (CBS4)– Riders taking part in next year’s USA Pro Challenge will make their way through Golden during the final stage of the race.
Stage 7 will take riders from Boulder through Golden and over Lookout Mountain before finishing with three circuits around downtown Denver.
“The 2014 USA Pro Challenge is going to be the most exciting year yet,” said Rick Schaden, owner of the USA Pro Challenge. “Boulder, Golden and Denver have been such great hosts over the history of the race, so we decided to work them all into the final day of competition. These three iconic Colorado cycling locations are going to create one grand finale!”
Riders will begin in Boulder, travel through Golden and finish with three laps around Denver which has served as the finish location every year of the race.
Riders traveled through Golden during the USA Pro Challenge in 2012.
Taking place Aug. 18-24, 2014, the host cities and stages of the 2014 USA Pro Challenge include:
- Stage 1: Monday, Aug. 18 – Aspen and Snowmass Village Circuit Race
- Stage 2: Tuesday, Aug. 19 – Aspen to Mt. Crested Butte
- Stage 3: Wednesday, Aug. 20 – Gunnison to Monarch Mountain (mountaintop finish)
- Stage 4: Thursday, Aug. 21 – Colorado Springs Circuit Race
- Stage 5: Friday, Aug. 22 – Woodland Park to Breckenridge
- Stage 6: Saturday, Aug. 23 – Vail Individual Time Trial
- Stage 7: Sunday, Aug. 24 – Boulder to Denver
“Cycling fans are so passionate and such an important part of the sport, so we decided to give them a voice in the route selection process,” said Shawn Hunter, CEO of the USA Pro Challenge. “We wanted to try something new this year and by incorporating fan feedback we have come up with what is going to be an incredible final day of racing.”