Rachel Zenzinger Named To Fill Seat Of Sen. Edie Hudak
WESTMINSTER, Colo. (AP) — An Arvada city official has been named a new state senator, replacing one who resigned rather than face a recall election.
Former Arvada city councilwoman Rachel Zenzinger was named Tuesday to fill the seat of former Sen. Evie Hudak. A Democratic vacancy committee made the selection.
Hudak resigned last month. The resignation came just days before gun-control opponents planned to turn in signatures seeking to make her the third Colorado Democrat to face recall after the adoption of a slate of gun-control measures.
Democrats have a one-seat majority in the Senate. A Hudak recall election would have risked losing the chamber to Republican control.
Zenzinger will serve on an interim basis until November 2014, when another election will be held for the district in Denver’s western suburbs.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
More Evie Hudak Stories
- Campus Gun Ban Could Be Headed To Colorado Ballots
- Arvada Councilwoman Becomes Colorado State Senator
- Rachel Zenzinger Named To Fill Seat Of Sen. Edie Hudak
- After Hudak’s Resignation, Dems To Name New State Senator
- State Sen. Evie Hudak Resigns In Face Of Recall Petition
- Poll: Hickenlooper Keeps Lead Over GOP Opponents
- Gun Control Debate Far From Over In Colorado