MONUMENT, Colo. (CBS4) – People in Monument released balloons for Dylan Redwine on Saturday as the one year anniversary of his disappearance approaches.
Close friends say the discovery of Dylan Redwine’s body brought peace, but also the need for more answers.
Families huddled together in the cold. The wind was too much for candles, but not for friends whose hearts were warm with memories of 14-year-old Dylan Redwine.
“It’s mainly showing some solidarity with the family to give them support and know that it wasn’t just something passing that people have all forgotten about,” Dan Conklin of Monument said. “That there is still concern for them and hurting for their loss.”
It was nearly a year ago to the day that Dylan Redwine left his mother’s home in Monument to visit his father in Vallecito near Durango. The day after he arrived in the small mountain town his father reported him missing. Seven months later search crews discovered human remains on Middle Mountain not far from where he was last seen.
Family friend and organizer for the memorial, Alyssa Austin, says she’ll never forget the moment she learned it was Dylan.
“I started crying, I had to take a break. But at the same time there was that sense of peace that we do actually know where he his and it’s not a search anymore,” Austin said.
Still, his friends and his community turned out in groups to leave a message for Dylan on a stone and release a balloon in his memory. They did it to show their support for his family who is now searching for something more.
“Before it was hope that something didn’t go wrong, and then when it did, there are questions that have to be answered,” Austin said. “Somebody somewhere knows something and it is justice for Dylan.”
More Dylan Redwine Stories
- Crews Wrap Up Search In Dylan Redwine’s Death
- More ‘Items Of Interest’ Found Related To Death Of Dylan Redwine
- Crews Search For Clues In Dylan Redwine Death Investigation
- Crews Continue To Search For Clues In Death Of Dylan Redwine
- Mark Redwine Files Counter Lawsuit Against Ex-Wife Amid Son’s Death Investigation
- Mark Redwine Named As Person Of Interest In Death Of His Son Dylan
- Dylan Redwine’s Mother: ‘We Know The Inner Workings Of What’s Going On’