ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – Neighbors woke up to screams and flames overnight after a fire broke out at a condominium complex in Englewood.
Just after 4 a.m. fire crews rushed to Apple Tree condos, located at 9797 East Peakview Avenue right by the border with Centennial and Greenwood Village. Some residents said they saw a wall of flames and also heard explosions before the fire erupted.
Dozens of people were forced out of their apartments.
Resident Beth Gertenbeth lives in the building next door said she pounded on doors to alert people to the fire.
“Basically I woke up at 4 a.m. and I heard people screaming in the parking lot,” said Gertenbeth. “I thought the sun was shining brightly in my room and it turned out to be the patio on the third floor completely on fire and there was an explosion.”
“I heard the one, then I heard a couple others. Then I went down to the building that was on fire to get people out.”
Two units were heavily affected and six others also were damaged. The Red Cross was on scene to help displaced residents of the affected building.
No one was hurt in the fire and fire crews were able to extinguish the flames after arriving.
Investigators have determined that the fire was started on the third floor balcony and is likely caused by an improperly disposed cigarette.