Discarded Cigarette Blamed For Fire That Destroyed 2 Homes
AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Fire investigators said a discarded cigarette sparked a fire at a home in Aurora that spread to a neighboring home on Tuesday. Both houses were destroyed.
The fire occurred on East Temple Drive off Buckley and Smokey Hill just south of the Quincy Reservoir. Firefighters originally responded to a single structure fire, but when they arrived they found two homes engulfed in flames.
A total of seven firefighting trucks were used to fight the fire.
Firefighters had a hard time with the fire because of all the smoke. They say the strong winds spread the fire to the second home.
Everyone escaped unharmed but both homes were destroyed.
One family wasn’t home when the fire broke out. The other family was home and one person was reported to be injured, but those injuries were not related to the fire.
The fire was put out after 6:30 p.m. The two families are displaced.