Local

No Charges Pursued In Deadly Shooting At Denver Home

View Comments
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

DENVER (CBS4) – The Denver District Attorney will not file any criminal charges in relation to last week’s deadly shooting at a home in Southeast Denver.

A woman called police the night of July 7 to report that her boyfriend shot an intruder. Police now confirm the suspect in the case attempted to forcibly enter the home on the 3200 block of South Glencoe Street and was confronted by the homeowner.

The suspect, identified as Charles McLaughlin, 29, has a lengthy criminal record, including trespassing and burglary. Police found him suffering from an apparent gunshot wound in front of the home and he was transported to the hospital where he died.

The DA said the case was based on a review of the specific facts in light of Colorado laws pertaining to self defense and defense of others.

Property records indicate a 51-year-old woman owns the home and works for Denver Public Schools. Neighbors said a couple lives the home. On Monday afternoon a couple left the home with suitcases and boxes in hand and would not comment as they drove off in separate cars.

“They are the sweetest people, so, so nice, they’ve been there a long time; very, very nice people,” neighbor Ed Camblin said.

Police said the death investigation is not a “Make My Day” case. Under that law a citizen cannot be prosecuted for using deadly force against an intruder inside their home.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,707 other followers