Local

‘Spider Man’ Helps Out Fellow Residents During Apartment Fire

View Comments
(credit: CBS)

(credit: CBS)

ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – Investigators in Arapahoe County are trying to figure out what started an apartment fire overnight.

Officials said they know the fire started in a stairwell, of the building, located at Harvard at Quebec.

One of the residents woke up hearing a fire alarm just after 4:30 p.m. but when he went to the door it was hot.

The room then began filling with smoke, and that’s when Jesse Rockwell got his parents out to the balcony. After that was accomplished he started helping neighbors.

“I climbed from my balcony on the third floor to the next one and woke up the neighbors. And they have three kids, and there’s a mom and a dad. I carried one by one the kids down and their dog. He wouldn’t let me leave him, so it was quite a stunt,” Rockwell said. “And after I got everyone else down I knocked on everyone else’s window and got everyone out.”

“We’re calling him Spider Man right now because he was climbing down the balconies with a couple of the kiddos,” said Jerry Rhodes, chief of the Cunningham Fire Protection District.

Rhodes told CBS4 when firefighters arrived they had to use ladders to rescue a number of other people from those balconies.

“It was crazy. I went into survival mode, I guess,” Rockwell said.

There were no injuries requiring anyone to go to the hospital.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,468 other followers