COMING UP: Without Her Consent, Tonight on CBS4 at 10 (Watch Preview)

Candles Believed To Be Cause Of Montbello House Fire

DENVER (CBS4) – Candles burning in the basement of a Denver home are believed to be the cause of a fire that did heavy damage Thursday morning.

Two men were sleeping in the basement and had to get out quickly after the fire broke out just before 4 a.m., authorities said.

The home is located in the Montbello neighborhood East Randolph Place and Elkhart Street, not far from 56th and Chambers.

Fire officials said the fire spread quickly from the basement to the upper floors of the home.

One of the two men, who are brothers, told CBS4 he “woke up to screams” from his brother.

“When I got up I saw smoke — really heavy black smoke — and he’s coughing on the floor so I’m like ‘Let’s get out of here,’ ” said Mustaf Mohamud. “We grabbed each other and got out the door. As soon as we got out the window exploded.

“We knocked on neighbors doors because our phones were in the house. So the neighbor opened the door and called 911.”

Three relatives of the brothers who also live in the home are currently out of town.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family affected by the fire.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver


Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia