HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. (CBS4)– Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies are searching for suspects involved in a trend of vehicle trespasses and garage burglaries in Highlands Ranch.
Investigators said most of the crimes involve a trespass to an unlocked vehicle or a garage where the garage door is left open. The suspects are looking for anything of value to take that is typically left in plain view.
Deputies encourage anyone who notices suspicious activity to call authorities. In a recent case a neighbor contacted the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office to report suspicious occupants in a vehicle. The report resulted in contacting suspects that were getting ready to burglarize several homes.
Here are a few tips to help deter these types of crimes:
- Lock all vehicles regardless of whether they are parked outside or inside your garage.
- Do not leave any valuables in your car whether they are parked outside or inside your garage.
- Remove all garage door openers from any vehicles parked in your driveway or on the street.
- Check and make sure your garage door is closed before you go to bed at night.
- The door from your garage to your home should always be closed and locked. Treat the entrance door from the garage to your house the same as an exterior entrance.