Stage 2 Drought Will Mean Mandatory Watering Restrictions
DENVER (CBS) – March snows have not done much to relieve water worries in Colorado, so the Denver Water Board will declare a Stage 2 drought on March 27.
There are four stages of drought ranging from moderate to exceptional. The Stage 2 Severe declaration means Denver Water customers will have have two assigned watering days a week beginning April 1.
“We’ve never seen conditions like this, and we are concerned about our water supply,” said Jim Lochhead, Denver Water’s manager and CEO said in a news release.
“Our reservoirs haven’t been full since July 2011. We need our customers’ help to reduce water use and keep as much water as possible in storage as we move through this year and into the next.”
“Last year was dry, and this year has been, too. Ultimately, we need to be prepared for a potentially worsening situation in 2014.”
Denver Water says while April is a good time to get sprinklers up and running, it’s best to hold off on running them. Instead, they recommend hand-watering sloped areas of the lawn as well as areas in full sunlight.
April is typically a cool month with some precipitation, so holding off on watering the entire lawn twice a week can save water for later in the summer.
“This year, we all must do our part to save water indoors and outdoors,” said Lochhead. “Together, we need to save 50,000 acre-feet of water, or 16 billion gallons, by April 2014.”
Mandatory watering restrictions mean Denver Water customers may only water two days a week and must follow this schedule:
- Single-family residential properties with even-numbered addresses: Sunday, Thursday
- Single-family residential properties with odd-numbered addresses: Saturday, Wednesday
- All other properties (multi-family, HOA, commercial, industrial, government): Tuesday, Friday
In addition, customers must follow these annual watering rules:
- Do not water lawns between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Do not waste water by allowing it to pool in gutters, streets and alleys.
- Do not waste water by letting it spray on concrete and asphalt.
- Repair leaking sprinkler systems within 10 days.
- Do not water while it is raining or during high winds.
Find watering tips and more information at denverwater.org.