AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – The Red Cross is helping out displaced families in Aurora who were forced out of their apartments because of a fire Saturday morning.
Firefighters say food on a stove accidentally caught fire and the fire quickly spread in a lower unit. That apartment has major damage and seven others were also damaged.
As flames erupted, residents there panicked. One of the residents took cellphone video as smoke billowed out. People can be seen scrambling and screaming for help.
Eboni Moore said trying to escape was scary.
“So I open the door and all of the smoke blew in my face,” Moore said. “So I yelled, ‘Everybody, we need to get out.’ ”
No one was hurt in the fire.
Aurora fire said power had to be cut to eight units. Power probably won’t be turned back on until Tuesday.