cbs4

Local

Apt. Fire Started By Man Cooking Hot Wings During Super Bowl

View Comments
An apartment fire at 1189 S. Beech Dr. was started by a man cooking hot wings during the Super Bowl (credit: CBS)

An apartment fire at 1189 S. Beech Dr. was started by a man cooking hot wings during the Super Bowl (credit: CBS)

CONTEST

LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4)- Firefighters rushed to put out an apartment fire in Lakewood that was started by a man cooking hot wings during the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Fire investigators say hot wings cooking on the stove unattended sparked the blaze at 6:20 p.m. inside an apartment at 1189 S. Beech Drive.

That kitchen fire destroyed the apartment. The apartment below had severe water damage.

Neighbors said there was a lot of smoke.

“The neighbors were banging on the door. I opened the door and the smoke was just pouring out of the upper apartment and people were screaming, ‘Call 911!’ so I grabbed the phone and called 911. I grabbed my kids and got out,” said neighbor Cindy Stein. “It wasn’t long before the flames just engulfed the roof and the smoke was horrible.”

The man inside the apartment was taken to the hospital as a precaution. One dog was rescued and one cat died in the fire.

An apartment fire at 1189 S. Beech Dr. was started by a man cooking hot wings during the Super Bowl (credit: CBS)

An apartment fire at 1189 S. Beech Dr. was started by a man cooking hot wings during the Super Bowl (credit: CBS)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus