Family Relieved After Charges Are Dropped For Man In Kidnapping Case
JOHNSTOWN, Colo. (CBS4) – Family members of a Johnstown man at the center of a kidnapping investigation say they are relieved that charges against him in the case have been dropped.
The Weld County District Attorney announced Wednesday he would not immediately file charges against David Calderon after inconsistencies in the story of what happened surfaced. Calderon, 38, was arrested on Jan. 24 after a 16-year-old girl allegedly escaped from his home, where she told police she had been held against her will for 36 hours and sexually assaulted. The 16-year-old had gone missing a few days earlier.
Calderon’s daughter Jade told CBS4 she and other family members were shocked when they learned about his arrest. They said they weren’t familiar with the accuser.
“It blew my mind,” she said on Wednesday. “I had no words.”
While authorities said it’s still possible Calderon might eventually face charges in the case, the family says they are sure that won’t happen.
“I knew the truth was going to come out eventually and that justice was going to be served and it was today,” Jade said.
An investigation into the case is still open. One thing police said they want to do is look at surveillance video from businesses they say the two people visited during that 36 hours.
A charge of false reporting could also possibly be filed against the teen.
“If our investigation uncovers evidence that there was a false report then that would be an avenue that we would discuss with the DA’s office,” said Johnstown Police Brian Phillips.
Calderon remained in jail on Wednesday night related to another case.