NIWOT, Colo. (CBS4) – Authorities announced on Wednesday that a 17-year-old Niwot High School student is now in jail after allegedly threatening the school.
Staff and students found two letters last week, which prompted officials to close the school last Friday. One of the letters was said to look like a “hit list.” It may have started out as a prank.
“That kind of implied that the people on the list — there was approximately 25 people on this list — they were in danger,” Cmdr. Rick Brough with the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office said.
“I think it was meant to mess with people, but it went a little bit too far,” a Niwot High student told CBS4.
The student was arrested Tuesday but his name is not being released because he is a juvenile. He’s being held on a $5,000 bond. He is charged with false reporting of explosives and interfering with an educational institution.
Students and parents say they’re glad to see an arrest made.
“I think it’s good because so many people are relieved, and we had friends on the list. It’s good because none of them are freaking out anymore,” student Jane Burke said.
“In today’s day and age we really do have to take every precaution,” parent Bob Zimmermann said.
The school reopened on Monday.