Coroner Calls Brothers’ Deaths Accidental, Cause Was Hyperthermia
GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (CBS4) – An autopsy that was completed this week shows the deaths of two boys who were left in an SUV on the Western Slope was an accident.
William Jensen, 2, died in the vehicle, which was parked on a rural road near Powderhorn resort on Nov. 27, and his brother Tyler, 4, died at Children’s Hospital a week later.
The coroner in Mesa County said Tuesday the deaths were an accident and that the cause is hyperthermia — that’s when a body overheats.
Heather Jensen, the mother of the boys, allegedly told investigators she left the boys in the SUV — which was running — for more than an hour while she met with someone.
Jensen posted photos of the boys on her Facebook page hours after making the calling 911, saying “I miss my boys.” She so far has not spoken publicly about what happened.
Last month friends and family members, including the boys’ uncle Rodger Mathena, held a vigil in the Denver area. At the time, Mathena said he and other family members were concerned about how long it was taking authorities to release details about the case.
“They were very playful, normal, happy and always had a smile on their face,” Mathena told CBS4. “They loved to play with their toys, very well mannered little boys, they were very loved.”
Mathena said the boys’ father Eric died in a car accident in October.
The district attorney told CBS4 Tuesday that it’s a bizarre case and it’s very rare for his office to see hyperthermia cases. They said they will hopefully have a decision on whether charges should be brought against Heather Jensen by the end of next week.