MESA COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – A mother from Mesa County who left her children alone in a running vehicle now has only limited custody of her surviving son.
The younger of Heather Jensen’s boys died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. The other remains at The Children’s Hospital.
Police officers say 2-year-old William Jensen was dead by the time paramedics got to him. Tyler Jensen, 4, is suffering from both liver and kidney failure, according to his step-grandfather.
On Friday a judge granted primary custody of Tyler to the Mesa County Department of Human Services. Heather Jensen is allowed supervised visits.
Heather Jensen called 911 Tuesday night when she noticed her boys were sick. She admitted to police that she left them alone in her running SUV for an 1 1/2 hours while she met a man in his truck. It took place on a rural road near the Powderhorn Ski Area.