Officials: Fire In Building At Streets Of Southglenn Was Caused By Sparks
CENTENNIAL, Colo. (CBS4) – Firefighters responded Thursday morning to a 2-alarm fire at a building in the Streets at Southglenn mall. The fire was caused by sparks from construction workers.
The fire broke out at about 11:30 a.m. in a building that is right next to a Whole Foods grocery store. It appeared to cause major damage, and one person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
“Smoke everywhere, the whole area was just filled with smoke,” said one witness.
Firefighters said workers cutting steal from the roof accidentally started the fire when sparks fell onto Styrofoam insulation below.
Firefighters had the blaze under control two hours later.
Officials with Streets of Southglenn told CBS4 the area was being redeveloped for a possible H&M store.
It appears fire-rated walls prevented the fire from spreading to other businesses.
“The fire appears to have ignited due to sparks falling from the roof as workers were cutting steel,” fire officials wrote in a prepared statement.
Nearby stores were evacuated, including Whole Foods, which was packed with a lunchtime crowd.
“Police were hollering around through the store telling us to evacuate, so everyone came out very smoothly,” said one evacuated shopper.
“If you looked back towards the back, the wind was carrying the smoke over the top of it, so we were concerned that there could be embers,” said evacuated employee Kathy Holzheimer.
“We were freaking out thinking it was our store,” said evacuated employee Sarah Ross.
The mall is located at the intersection of Arapahoe and University.