CENTENNIAL, Colo. (CBS4)– What started as a missing persons case has led to one arrest and the discovery of human remains. A Centennial man has been arrested while Arapahoe County Sheriff’s deputies investigate whether the remains discovered are those of his mother who was reported missing.

Ari Misha Liggett was arrested early Wednesday morning after trying to run away from deputies.

Deputies began their investigation on Monday after family members reported that two people inside the home at 6223 East Parkview Avenue were missing. Family members reported that they were concerned for the welfare of the 56-year-old woman and her son, Liggett, 24, who both lived there.

Investigators with the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s office attempted to locate the pair and tracked their activity through credit card transactions to the Western Slope during the early morning on Tuesday.

At about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday, deputies watched the vehicle associated with Liggett and his mother being driven through the neighborhood close to their home. Deputies were not able to make contact with the vehicle at that time.

Just 20 minutes later, an officer with the Greenwood Village Police Department saw the vehicle and attempted to conduct a traffic stop. The driver, Liggett, eluded police and then crashed his car at East Orchard and South Dayton Street. No other vehicles were involved.

Liggett ran away from the crash scene. The officer caught up to him after a short distance where he was taken into custody.

Liggett remains in custody at the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office Detention Facility without bond pending the filing of first degree murder charges.

Investigators found the dismembered remains of a deceased adult female in the back seat of the vehicle that was driven by Liggett. The remains have yet to be identified. Liggett’s mother remains missing.

The investigation continues at the home at 6223 East Peakview Avenue where hazardous materials crews searched the home and removed some suspicious liquid. That liquid is being tested at two different facilities. The area around the home was cordoned off for several hours on Tuesday evening while the liquid was removed.

No evacuations have been ordered in the neighborhood surrounding Liggett’s home. Deputies said the liquid has been contained and is not a threat to surrounding homes.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s