Police: Parents Not Involved In Jessica’s Disappearance
Westminster Police Ridgeway Case Tip Line: (303) 658-4336 or firstname.lastname@example.org
WESTMINSTER, Colo. (CBS4)- Police in Westminster investigating the disappearance of Jessica Ridgeway said Wednesday afternoon that they believe her parents are not involved.
The 10-year-old was last seen Friday morning on her way to school.
“I want to come out today and tell you that at this point in the investigation, after thoroughly looking at the parents, we are confident that they are not involved in the disappearance of Jessica Ridgeway,” said Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso.
He said they are focusing their investigation on many leads that have come through the tipline including tips from several states like Maine, Maryland, Texas, Nevada and Wyoming.
“The focus shifts to an unknown suspect, as we think she was abducted,” said Ridgeway.
Witt Elementary, where Jessica attends school, was put on lockout on Wednesday.
RELATED STORY: Jessica Ridgeway’s Mom: ‘I Knew Something Was Wrong’
Ridgeway is now listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children list. The following is known about her disappearance:
– Jessica Ridgeway, 10, disappeared on her way to school Friday morning. After leaving home on foot, she never met up with friends she normally walks to school with at Chelsea Park. The park is about three blocks from her home and about a mile from the school.
– When she didn’t arrive at Witt Elementary School in Westminster, Jefferson County Schools officials tried to contact her mother. They made a call at 10 a.m. but were only able to leave a voicemail. Ridgeway’s mother, who works an overnight shift and sleeps during the day, didn’t get the message until 4:30 p.m. and immediately contacted Westminster police.
– It took about five hours before the protocols were met in the case for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to call an Amber Alert.
– Ridgeway’s backpack was found on the sidewalk near Alpha Court and Andrew Drive in the Rock Creek neighborhood in Superior. That’s 6.4 miles away from her home. It’s unknown so far at what point the backpack wound up there.
– The CBI is analyzing the backpack for DNA evidence and is collecting evidence from Ridgeway’s home for comparison.
– Searches have taken place around Jessica’s home and her school, as well as in open space areas in Westminster. Another area that has undergone an extensive search is Rock Creek and open space areas near there.
A dozen different police agencies are helping Westminster police in their search for Ridgeway.