cbs4

Local

14-Year-Old Saves Mother From Burning Home

View Comments

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – A 14-year-old is being called a hero after he saved his mother and another person from their burning home.

The fire happened Saturday morning in Steamboat Springs. It started in a hallway of a duplex and set off the smoke detector. Dillon Silcox heard the alarm, but his mother didn’t.

The flames kept Silcox from reaching her bedroom door, so he improvised.

steamboat fire hero vomap 14 Year Old Saves Mother From Burning Home

(credit: CBS)

“I jumped out my window and I ran to my mom’s window, told her to wake up, that there was a fire, and I ran to the neighbor’s door to let her know there was a fire,” he said.

Silcox’s mother says the fire was close to the gas furnace. She also says they just replaced the battery in the smoke detector last week.

Crews were able to contain the damage to the inside of the house. It’s not clear how it started.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,369 other followers