ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP/CBS4) – Broncos Pro Bowl defensive end Elvis Dumervil won’t be charged in a road rage incident in Miami Beach, Fla.
His lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said the Miami-Dade County state’s attorney informed him Tuesday that Dumervil had been cleared in the case. Dumervil had been arrested on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
A relieved Dumervil said he knew he “didn’t do anything wrong,” but was “in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
“I’m just ready to continue my life,” he said.
The police report said Dumervil and another man were stuck in traffic on July 14, got into an argument with a female driver, and the two men displayed weapons. Dumervil told police he didn’t have a gun; officers say they found one in the car’s glove compartment.
Steinberg said Tuesday that the car Dumervil was driving that day belonged to his brother, as did the gun. He said Dumervil’s brother has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but hadn’t told Dumervil about the weapon being in the glove compartment.
Although Dumervil has insisted on his innocence all along, he said Tuesday the matter weighed heavily on him.
“I mean, obviously, because I was raised a certain way,” he said. “Having to make that phone call to your mom after getting out of jail, she was the first person I called. I wanted to make sure she didn’t overreact or get too stressed. She doesn’t take bad news too well. So, making that phone call more than anything is what I really remember in this whole situation. So, you know, I’m glad to move forward from that.”
Dumervil said he hadn’t heard from Commissioner Roger Goodell, who has the power to punish him even without a charge or conviction in a case.
The Broncos (No. 10 in the AP Pro32) already will be without their five-time leading tackler D.J. Williams to start the season. The weakside linebacker is facing a six-game suspension for failing an offseason drug test.
Williams also is facing a drunken-driving trial next week that could result in an even longer suspension.
Dumervil led the league in sacks with 17 in 2009, but tore a chest muscle in camp in 2010, shortly after signing a $58 million contract. He returned last season and compiled 9 1/2 sacks, teaming with NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Von Miller to form Denver’s dreaded “Doom & Gloom” pass-rushing duo.
Both went to the Pro Bowl and are expected to have even bigger seasons with Peyton Manning replacing Tim Tebow and leading a ball-control offense that should give Denver’s defense more rest and more leads with which to work.
– By Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
The following are comments made by Dumervil on Tuesday after a Broncos practice. The transcription is provided by the Denver Broncos:
On his off-field situation
“I found out today [from] my attorney, Harvey Steinberg, that [all the charges] were dropped—and actually [they] didn’t get filed.”
On how he reacted
“It was a blessing obviously. The investigators took the time and got the truth out. They did their due diligence and tried to get everything right. I’ve been confident all along and know I didn’t do anything wrong. It was a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time and I’m just ready for football.”
On whether the situation weighed on him
“I was raised a certain way and having to make that phone call to your mom about getting out of jail—she was the first person I called. I wanted to make sure she didn’t overreact or get too stressed. She doesn’t take bad news too well so making that phone call, more than anything, was what I really remembered from this whole situation. I’m glad to move forward from that.”
On how fans might have reacted
“The way the tabloids and media, the way things are—it’s a media world and it is what it is. The profession I play, it comes with the territory. At times, you wish that you could tell the truth and people are going to understand it but at the same time, news is news. It’s not what happens but how you respond to things. I knew all along I didn’t do anything wrong. The type of person I am, [how] I conduct myself since I’ve been here—I’m just ready to continue my life.”
On if he has told his mom yet
“I haven’t called her yet so I’ll be looking forward to making that phone call.”
On if the rest of the case has been dropped as well
“I’m not sure of that but I know I had nothing to do with that.”
On how much of a relief it is for him
“It’s huge. We work so hard as a team. Our organization, since OTAs, minicamp, to come into training camp with such an issue like that trying to assassinate my character, it’s not something I would like to deal with. It’s overwhelming to kind of just deal with football now.”
On whether he expects to hear from Commissioner Roger Goodell
“I’m not sure. I haven’t heard of anything.”
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)