Food Poisoning Outbreak Hits Dozens Who Dined At Denver Rescue Mission

DENVER (CBS4) – More than 50 people were sickened and had to be taken to the hospital for apparent food poisoning Sunday night at the Denver Rescue Mission.

Officials said the sickness hit people who ate a turkey dinner at the Lawrence Street shelter. The meat had been donated.

Many people began vomiting violently on the side of the street.

The Denver Rescue Mission says they’re taking the matter very seriously.

Denver Fire Department spokesman Lt. Phil Champagne said one of the main concerns though is patients who haven’t sought help.

“We’re very concerned. It certainly is a case-by-case approach with the patients, depending on their particular health, but it could really have dire consequences for patients who aren’t very healthy and who could succumb very quickly by something like this that dehydrates them very quickly,” he said.

“We’re concerned that a lot of these people hide — they hide in plain sight, but they are out there in Denver. If anyone knows someone (who is sick) don’t hesitate to call 911 and we’ll call and we’ll go out there and take care of these patients.”

If you see someone who seems ill, it’s important to call police and let them know.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

NEWS TEAM
BRONCOS CENTRAL

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia