Police Say Road Rage Took Scary Turn With Crowbar

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Police say road rage took a scary turn when a driver reached for a crowbar. It happened during rush hour Wednesday morning at the intersection of Arapahoe and Smoky Hill Road in southeast Aurora.

Police said the suspect was likely cut off by a female driver and in return did the same thing to her. Their cars collided and they both pulled over. That’s when the suspect pulled out a crowbar and approached the other driver’s car.

“Two car accident; the male was out of the car with the crowbar. The female who was inside of her car was calling 911,” Officer Frank Fania with Aurora police said.

Fania heard the call come in on his way to work. A driver had been cut off and collided with another car. He got angry, pulled over and reached for the weapon.

“He went up to the female’s car … was at her driver’s side door in a threatening manner with this crowbar,” Fania said.

“I acted out of anger over a trivial traffic matter,” the suspect told CBS4’s Evrod Cassimy over the phone.

Though it’s public information he only agreed to talk if CBS4 didn’t use his name.

“I just grabbed it more or less out of pure anger wondering what was going to happen,” he said. “When I saw it was a woman I realized, ‘You’re being an idiot.’ I went back to my car and put it back in my car.”

Police said that the suspect never actually hit the woman’s car with the crowbar but he’s still facing charges related to the crash.

“I’m sorry for overreacting for a traffic incident that happens I’m sure 100 times a day,” he said.

It’s unclear exactly what the suspect planned to do with the crowbar but thankfully no one was hurt. He was released on a summons. He faces menacing, disorderly conduct and reckless driving charges.

1. MR says:

Like I tell my students: focus on yourself. A lot of headache will be spared if you do this because you will worry only about your actions. Let someone else be the fool and get in trouble with the law.

2. obhtn3 says:

If that fool approached my car with a crow bar in a threatening manner, he would be dead.

1. Merdie says:

….amen !!

2. Travis John says:

Same from me. That would have been the last action he took.

3. denvervet says:

While I do agree with MR in this instance, there are too many people in Denver who only think of themselves, I call it the “I, ME” syndrome. I see it way too often here. But, in this case the guy should have realized there was nothing he could do about it and left it at that. An Italian expression when things go wrong in which you ask yourself; 1. Is there anything I can do about it, 2. Am I going to die as a result? Usually the answers to both are no. Ask yourself these two things when you get in a bad situation, it brings you back to reality.

4. Packin'female says:

This is why I carry a gun, and I am a female.

5. Merdie says:

carry a .45 ???

6. South Dakota Pheasant Hunting says:

Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to say that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds or even I success you access persistently fast.

7. Larry says:

exactly why I carry a revolver everywhere I go.

8. Russell says:

This state has the worst and rudest drivers I have ever encountered. Everyone has such a sense of “intiltlement” attitude here. What’s up with this? I have never seen so any red light runners, driver’s not letting you merge into traffic and everyone drives way over the speed limit. Makes me wish I was in law enforcement.

1. Travis John says:

Oh Russell, you should go to any state on the east coast, Texas, or even worse, New Mexico. They make Colorado drivers look like all stars. I worked in the level 1 trauma center in the panhandle of Texas and was shocked at what came in, and how often. When I got home from an 8 mile commute, I wanted to kiss the ground because I had survived. In 8 miles I would see 2-3 wrecks. There are some real idiots on the road here but I am glad it is to a lesser extent.