Fifth Woman Accuses Gym Coach Of Sex Abuse

DENVER (CBS4)– A fifth woman has come forward saying a Colorado Springs-based gymnastics coach sexually molested her when she was a teenager in Southern California.

“I met Doug Boger when he was coach of the Flairs, the team my sister was on,” said Kimberly Vincelli.

Vincelli, now 54, said she spent long hours around the gym, doing homework while Boger was training her younger sister, and other gymnasts.

“In the beginning it wasn’t sexual at all,” said Vincelli.

But she said Boger- a world renowned gymnastics coach- began making suggestive statements to her at the gym when she was 13 years old and he was in his twenties.

“He said things like, ‘I can’t wait till you’re legal,’ almost like he was flirting with you. It felt good,” said Vincelli.

She said the flirting turned physical one day when he asked her to accompany him on an errand that began at the gym. She said the errand ended at his apartment.

“I remember being in the bedroom, I don’t know how the progression went. He walked up to me, put a hand around my neck, unzipped his pants and put his… in my mouth. It was confusing at best,” she now says.

Vincelli joins a growing chorus of women who say Boger, now 63, manipulated them into having sex when they were underage. Boger, who lives in Colorado Springs and plans to again train young female gymnasts, has told CBS4 the accusations are false.

“I was not abusive and did not do anything wrong,” said Boger. “The sexual thing is absolutely fabricated. These kids all got together and fabricated this,” said Boger, in an interview last year at the CBS4 studios in Denver.

He repeatedly said he never had sex with any girls he coached or any underage women.

But in a 4 On Your Side Investigation broadcast in February, four women detailed Boger manipulating them into having sex with him when he was their gymnastics coach in Pasadena, California in the 1970s. One of the women said she was just 11 years old when Boger began having sexual relations with her.

Vincelli recounted three sexual interactions with Boger. In one, she said Boger again took her to his apartment.

“I just remember at his apartment and being on the bed and he scooted my shorts down and got on top of me,” said Vincelli.

She said when she was about 15, Boger had sexual intercourse with her.

Vincelli said at the time, she never told anyone what happened.

“I was confused by it, I was scared. I was afraid my father would find out. It was a secret and it was our secret,” said Vincelli.

She said she confided in her sister about ten years ago, telling her what had happened.

But she said she was prompted to speak out after seeing the 4 On Your Side Investigation and other women saying Boger had victimized them.

“It just rang true. Everything they said was everything I experienced. I hope there is an awakening and that people are not so trusting of these coaches,” said Vincelli.

– Written by Brian Maass for CBSDenver.com

More from Investigates
Comments

1. denvervet says:

He looks like a woman, man did he let himself go! As for the abuse its just disgusting.

1. tammanyf says:

Doug was the worst nightmare ever.

2. Krista C says:

I found your report on tonights 6:30 segment on Coach Boger to be a great piece. However, it was disappointing to hear the last quote “…she speaking now because she hopes that parents will be less trusting of coaches…” I realize this isn’t attributed to the Channel 4 writing staff. However, I wish you’d thought through the implication of including it. Having participated in gymnastics, ice skating, soccer, basketball, and track in both junior high and high school, I can tell you that as a collective group, all of my coaches were amazing people. None were inappropriate *in any way.* Parents should not be suspect of coaches. Parents should be parents! Check in with your kids. Pay attention to changes in behavior. Create an environment where your kids feel comfortable talking to you. “All coaches” are not to blame.

3. Donna Hollingsworth says:

This is one of the coaches, at the same time, who belittled and desparaged my policy to fingerprint all employees of my gymnastic academy in Camarillo, CA

1. tammanyf says:

Doug was just an absolute creep and he still makes my skin crawl.

4. Big Al says:

His nickname in the pokey will be “Pommel Horse”.

5. tammanyf says:

I am really glad these ladies have come out to say what is and has always been a fact. Doug was a pervert and was pretty out there with it. I am sure any one of thses women recall seeing dougs stuff sticking out of hole sin his Levi’s at the crotch. It’s a visual that will never leave my memory. He did it on purpose and it was laways on the tubling matt. I can still see the Gym clear as a bell. He sat a three steps that led to his office where we tumbled and he would sit with his legs open and there it was as we did forward rolls you had not other choice but to see it. I am 50 now and he haunts my dreams. he was like the boogie man really.

1. tammanyf says:

whoops typo city.I am really glad these ladies have come out to say what is and has always been a fact. Doug was a pervert and was pretty out there with it. I am sure any one of these women recall seeing Dougs stuff sticking out of holes in his Levi’s at the crotch. It’s a visual that will never leave my memory. He did it on purpose and it was always did it while we were on the tubling matt. I can still see the Gym clear as a bell. He sat on three steps that led to his office where we tumbled and he would sit with his legs open and there it was as we did forward rolls you had not other choice but to see it. I am 50 now and he haunts my dreams. he was like the boogie man really.

6. Ann says:

i really hope the statute of limitations in all sexual abuse and molestation cases will be eliminated. I came forward for sexual abuse from my brother, which happened 12 years ago, but statute of limitations prevented the DA from prosecuting. My brother denies any wrongdoing and convinced my family that it is all “in my head.” I pray for this elimination soon and that this child predator is punished.