Good Samaritans Help Save Belongings From House Fire
DENVER (CBS4) – A fire gutted a home in Denver’s Highland neighborhood, but some good Samaritans helped save items important to the homeowners.
The fire happened Sunday afternoon on Osceola near 32nd and Lowell. Smoke could be seen from all the way downtown.
Two people who saw the home on fire went into the burning building and saved as much as they could. One of them kicked down a door and looked for anyone who may have needed help inside the burning home.
“So he ran in to check that there were people in the house that needed to get out and ran upstairs. It was totally smoky, he saw a black cat run that he couldn’t catch. He grabbed a couple of computers, what he thought people would want,” neighbor Maddy O’Connell said.
The people who live there were not home.
The fire burned through three floors of the old Victorian home. The deck was scorched. The blaze torched a tree and spread to a nearby garage. The flames also damaged the neighbor’s home.
“The flames were licking the houses on either side … my husband said, ‘The whole block is going to go. This could take down the neighborhood,’ ” O’Connell said.
No one was hurt.
Firefighters are still looking to find the cause.