Another Victory Keeps Tebow In The Spotlight

Even GOP Candidates Court Broncos' QB, But He Says He's Declined The Offers

DENVER (AP) – He kneels in prayer at times when many players would be pounding their chest, and is winning with a style the experts insist cannot work for long.

Tim Tebow‘s formula for success and fame is not typical for the NFL. So, is it a football miracle? Or the perfect blend of luck, timing and big plays? That’s the debate that makes the tale of the Denver Broncos quarterback one of the most compelling stories in America these days.

Hardly anyone stands on neutral ground when it comes to the purveyor of this unorthodox mix of throwing mechanics, big-time sports and devout religion, a 24-year-old Christian who is the subject of comedy skits on Saturday nights and serious sermons on Sunday mornings.

But what most people will agree on is that it’s hard to take your eyes off Tebow these days – a man who unapologetically uses football to take his message beyond the field while also taking his team on an unexpected ride through the playoffs.

“I’m just very thankful for the platform that God has given me, and the opportunity to be a quarterback for the Denver Broncos – what a great organization,” Tebow said after his latest shocker – an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play of overtime Sunday to beat Pittsburgh 29-23 in the wild-card playoffs.

The play, according to Twitter, spawned a record 9,420 tweets per second.

Not lost in that flurry was that Tebow threw for 316 yards and set an NFL playoff record by averaging 31.6 yards. That’s “316,” as in John 3:16, one of the most-often cited Bible passages for Christians, the most widely searched item on Google for much of Sunday night into Monday, and the message Tebow used to stencil into the eyeblack he wore when he played college ball at Florida.

Not that referencing the Bible or thanking God is anything new in sports. After NFL games for years, a small group of athletes gather around midfield, kneel, hold hands and pray. That devotion has been largely ignored or even criticized by media and fans.

“The thing with Tebow is that he seems more genuinely religious than most athletes, who seem to be religious to win games,” said Clifford Putney, author of the book “Muscular Christianity: Manhood and Sports in Protestant America, 1880-1920.”

That might help explain why Tebow’s gestures are not being overlooked, but part of an ever-growing sensation. It started building when he won the Heisman Trophy and two national titles at Florida, though he was steeped in strong religion well before that – born in the Philippines to missionary parents.

More recently, he introduced mass culture to the art of “Tebowing” – kneeling on one knee, elbow perched on the other, fist to forehead – while chaos is erupting around him. The practice now has its own website, with pictures of people Tebowing in a research lab, in front of the Sydney Opera House, in front of the Western Wall in Jerusalem, etc.

Entertaining as all that has been, it has made fans and the media rethink the way they judge and cover their sports stars. Reporting that a player was including the Lord in his postgame analysis has long been widely thought of as trite and inappropriate, something to simply skip over when typing in the quotes.

Tebow’s five fourth-quarter comebacks and his four overtime victories – each more improbable than the last – and his steady, genuine, yet somehow unassuming insistence on bringing God into the conversation has forced an uncomfortable question upon those who want to make it only about what happens between the lines.

Does God really care about football?

“Not one whit,” said Joe Price, a professor in the religious studies department at Whittier College. “But does God care about people who play football? You betcha.”

In a sports season filled with unsavory stories – NFL and NBA labor wars, child sex abuse scandals at Penn State and Syracuse, and a baseball MVP accused of using steroids – Tebow is seen by many as a sports star who really could be a role model, contrary to what Charles Barkley or anyone else might say.

136612048 8 Another Victory Keeps Tebow In The Spotlight

Tim Tebow receives high fives from fans after the Broncos defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers on Jan. 8, 2012, in Denver. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

But the Tebow angst still exists, in large part because there is seemingly no way to analyze what he does on a football field without religion seeping into at least some part of that analysis.

Opine about his unorthodox throwing motion – widely derided by scouts and coaches and seemingly more suited for tossing a boomerang than a football – and the quick assumption becomes that you might not like him because of his religious beliefs.

Defend him as a winner who cares less about conventionality and depends more on moxie than mechanics – well, then you must be drinking the Kool-Aid, a Tebow fan because you’re in line with his Christian beliefs.

PHOTO GALLERY: Broncos 29, Steelers 23

“I still have doubts about him as a long-term answer, as I think most reasonable people do,” said radio host Sandy Clough, who has been manning Denver’s sports talk shows for more than 30 years. “Does one game, if he plays well, not only invalidate his play from the other (bad) games but anything anyone’s ever said about it? Well, no it doesn’t. It’s all part of the mix. It’s a fascinating mix. He’s the toughest player I’ve ever had to analyze, because there are all these extraneous factors you have to bring in.”

Sensing the excitement and loving his message, Tebow is also being courted by Republican presidential candidates. The quarterback recently told The Associated Press he’s been asked by more than one of the contenders for his support. He wouldn’t name names, but did say he’d declined the offer.

“I think you have to have so much trust in who you support, just from product endorsements to endorsing a candidate because if that person or company does something (bad), it reflects on you,” said Tebow, who’s a pitchman for Nike, Jockey and FRS energy drink.

Tebow has, however, placed himself in the political realm before – two Super Bowls ago when he starred in a Focus on the Family commercial with his mother sharing the story of how she gave birth to him in the Philippines in 1987 after spurning a doctor’s advice to have an abortion for medical reasons. After being criticized for that ad, he didn’t do an encore and instead tries to toe the line of showing his religion without shoving it down people’s throats.

That hasn’t stopped people from mocking him – and worse.

After Tebow was particularly bad in an ugly loss to Buffalo on Dec. 24, comedian and talk show host Bill Maher sent out a tweet that basked in the QB’s misfortune, blaming Jesus for the loss. “And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler `Hey, Buffalo’s killing them,'” Maher tweeted.

Maher, in turn, was roundly ripped for the post.

Less toxic was the recent skit on “Saturday Night Live,” where “Jesus” materializes in the locker room with an actor portraying Tebow, admits he is pulling some strings during these Bronco games, then after being told the New England Patriots are next on the schedule, suggests Tebow substitute his playbook, “the holy Bible,” for one with some Xs and Os.

The “SNL” Jesus also concedes that he, personally, prays to the Broncos place-kicker, Matt Prater, whose excellence has defined what the Tebow sensation has been about for most of this season: a bunch of teammates, motivated by a less-than-perfect leader who never gives up, coming together and picking each other up when the going gets tough.

A great story line that has held most of the year.

The twist on Sunday, though, was that for the first time this season, it could reasonably be argued that Tebow was a one-man show. In the win over Pittsburgh, he completed five passes of 30 yards or more. And with his defense struggling, he threw a perfect strike for the game-winner to receiver Demaryius Thomas, who didn’t have to change his stride and, thus, ran untouched into the end zone.

“He was the same Tim, calm and collected,” Thomas said. “He took it one play at a time and was in the huddle and said, `It’s either we win or we go home.'”

By EDDIE PELLS, AP National Writer

(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. TGC says:

Here’s an idea…maybe, just maybe….all the “experts” don’t really know what the hell they are talking about! Maybe, Tebow is developing in a fine NFL QB. Maybe the experts are wrong….as usual. As for the hatred, roaches never like to have the light turned on….just by living the life he has chosen to live, Tebow has turned the light on a lot of roaches lives, and they don’t like it one bit.

1. lukuj says:

Right on! I’m glad he is not endorsing anyone. It would be just one more thing about which he would be criticized and hounded, and some of those hateful people would not support the candidate just because Tebow did. I told my religion class kids on Sunday that Tebow was a person who was suffering without c omplaint a type of modern day relgious persecution, though after Sunday some of those bad-mouthing him may quiet down a bit. Tebow doesn’t care what they say. God doesn’t care what they say. I don’t care what they say. It is blessing to have another excellent role model for kids in the NFL. There are too few as far as I can tell.

2. Youngblood85 says:

The haters ain’t seen nothing yet! Keep rockin’ Tebow!

3. Right2Liberty says:

You hit the nail on the head. People hate Tebow because the way he lives his life convicts them. Through no fault of TEBOW’S, he makes them feel bad about themselves and they don’t like that. As a Christian, I should be living MY life like Tebow does. He’s an inspiration to me to walk the walk. I have loved this kid since he played at Florida. He’s a WINNER. On and off the field. There have been (and are) plenty of QB’s in the NFL who have unorthodox throwing motions and they’ve done just fine. Tebow’s only going to get better and better the more experience he gets and especially with the benefit of an off-season of training and promised personal tutoring from John Elway himself. Everybody needs to look out next year. The Broncos will be a dominating force in the NFL. And Tebow will have a long and storied NFL career. Regardless of what the “experts” and haters say. GO BRONCOS!

1. Shane Horner says:

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.” (John 15:18). In other words, the closer you walk with Jesus (Christianity at its core), the more the world will hate on you fo the very reason Right 2Liberty stated; conviction. We are all cut from the same cloth, God, thus we all know the difference between right and wrong. Culture is so thick with that which is wrong, so when someone like Tebow comes along and sets a Christlike example, everyone gets defensive. I know because I used to be on the defensive. As for Bronco’s football…WOOHOO!!!

2. Eric B says:

Well said. Tebow INSPIRES people. He makes Christians want to be better Christians. He’s been what I’ve been wishing for in the sports spotlight for a long time. A man who realizes that he has a rare opportunity to use his popularity to bring glory to God and be a proper role model for children and adults alike. Light unto the world and salt of the earth. He’s refreshing. It’s like he’s quitely saying to the country and world “Hey guys, we’re out here too. It’s not all bad.”

3. Mikey says:

The criticism of Tebow is idiotic. He’s a winner. I don’t care what position he plays, you want him on your team. I’m not a Bronco fan, but I can’t wait to watch their next game.

4. Mireya Ayala says:

For once, I wish that the media would realize that NO ONE is saying that God is necessarily interested in the football game, but that some of the players — like Tim Tebow — are interested in God.

1. steve says:

God might like football. Why would He not. Does He help make plays….well you can never answer this question. But, I would think He loves anything we figure out for the good of man. Remember He loves you…so why not?

2. steve says:

Remember this too. Not any person king, pope, or president has more knowledge than you on God because of their title. Does God really care about football?

3. Jack Daniel says:

AMEN!!!!

4. Adam Smith says:

Personally I don’t know if there is a God or not. Nobody does. But I do admire this young man whose values are strong, humane, and dedicated to being as excellent as he can be and to using his strength to take care of others who are less fortunate. I am not a Christian. But I find the anti-Christian bigots who hate Tebow because of his very humanity and authenticity to be a tad pathetic.

5. steve says:

Also, people don’t like the fact he is not as talented as some but, still gets great results. Why don’t they like him for this reason? Because they are jealous and they don’t like the fact that if you work hard enough and believe, sometimes great things can happen. Which shows us all that mediocrity can be improved if you put your heart into it. Tom Brady is another example. Who happens to be my favorite. If Tebow wins I hope he wins it all. Just to prove my point. Hard work and positive thoughts bring positive results no matter how much talent you have been given.

1. John 3:17 says:

Remember this. John 3:16 is Tebow’s favorite verse. But Luke 1:37 says Nothis is impossible with God. And I’m proud Tim always gives Jesus Christ and his teammates the credit first, and in that order. Get’em Tim

6. NYS Parkie says:

I don’t know what his skill set is. I like him for his honest and civil ways. That he believes in a higher being, as I do, is just a cherry on top. This is the type of man one wants his kids to follow. Not some loud mouth flamboyant good off that has sired 5 kids with as many women.

1. Steve M. says:

I agree!

7. Erin Monday says:

Maybe the media feels Michael Vick is a better role model or something. Who knows, with them.

8. TX Patriot says:

He secretly endorses the integrity and honesty of the Statesman, Ron Paul, but he’s too smart to openly say it.
      Can you imagine how they would jump on him for that honesty?

9. Diff says:

TGC, you are a genius. THe experts told us integration would help our kids learn.Now black and white kids are both stupider than ever. Experts tell us gays have a legit lifestyle but they die on average at 44. Experts tell us Lady Googoo and Madonna are stars but they look like a walking VD commercial. Experts tell us Islam is peaceful, that southern whites are bigots, that abortion is freedom to women, etc…..etc…

10. REP84 says:

Yeah baby, you got it right for sure!

2. seanoairborne says:

I’m a Texan fan….but,GO,TEBOW,GO!!

1. Steve says:

I’m a Steeler fan and I’m rooting for Tim Tebow!! There are things more important than football.

1. steve says:

AMEN!

2. Sjrago says:

I am a N.Y. Giants fan I love my Team BUT GO TEBOW GO

2. lukuj says:

I’m a Packer fan, but I love Tebow and hope he continues to be successful – until he plays the Packers, that is!

1. Chris says:

Saints fan rooting for Tebow until they face the Saints in the SuperBowl!

3. Kevin Leo Rohr says:

I don’t even watch football, but I watch Tebow!

3. danthefan says:

there’s a big difference in being a christian and being religious. anyone can be religious, only those accepting jesus as lord and savior can be christians. muslims, scientology, budahism, satan worship, these are some of the religions of the world.

1. Renee Gratza says:

Exactly! Its not a “religious thing” it is a relationship with the one & only Jesus Christ : )

4. Blonde Gator says:

Tebow wore John 3:16 during his second appearance in the BCS Bowl game. It became the most googled term on the internet.

As a Gator, I’ve been a fan of Tim’s (Superman wears Tebow shorts) forever. And I can assure you that if the management will get out of his face about his mechanics, blah, blah, blah, and just let Tim be Tim….the results will continue to be spectacular. He’s the hardest worker you’ll ever see, whether it’s watching film or preparing himself physically to knock defenders down.

Best of everything to you Denver fans, enjoy it while you’ve got it!

1. Chris Murphy says:

Good points. His passing style might be unconventional (but that is a bit of an exaggeration as well), but the ball can travel to point A to point B.

I think that Tebow was given the reigns of throwing the ball on Sunday. He was going against the #1 defense (including the #1 PASSING DEFENSE).

And what happened?

He threw the deep pass, short pass and 20 yard play action pass very effectively. In addition, this allowed him to run for another 50 yards too.

I hope that they let him do the same against New England. They had that game in the bag last time…until the third quarter.

One thing is for sure: Tim Tebow caused me to become a Broncos fan! I love what the ENTIRE team has done of the field this season!

5. Edgar says:

I’m a Patriots fan, but on Saturday nite I rooting for Tim.

1. Nayeli says:

Cowboys fan here: I am cheering for Tim Tebow as well!

1. Toozie says:

Cowboy and Steelers fan…..now a Broncos fan! Go…..TEBOW’S and Broncos!! Nice to have a player who loves God, isn’t involved in shooting anybody or beating his wife or girlfriens, isn’t boisterous or think too highly of himself, not using alcohol or illegal drugs. Just a good clean God-fearing man! Thank God!

6. Wally says:

I’ve always despised the Denver Broncos but now I’m a fan thanks to TT! GB2

1. Wally says:

For the uninitiated “GB2” (God Bless & Go Broncos) is Tim Tebow’s signature sign off on Facebook . . .

7. Arj says:

GaLO-reee, I wonder who JAYsuhz wants TBow to endorse?

1. R2D2 Manning says:

@ Arj:

…um, maybe the Sylvan Learning Center? After all, if you can’t spell names like “Tebow” and “Jesus” correctly, then maybe Tebow’s endorsement will encourage you to seek some assistance.

8. Rupert Pupkin says:

When I look at Tim Tebow’s performance on the field, I see Steve Young. Who among you is going to argue that Steve Young didn’t have a “formula for long term success”?

1. Scott says:

I like Tebow, but comparing him to Steve Young? The Hall of Fame QB? Slow down a bit please.

1. Bobby Boucher says:

I agree with Ruppert.

Have you ever seen Steve Young during his first few years in the USFL and at Tampa Bay?

Tim Tebow has better stats and a much better record over 14 games. It took a while for Steve Young to mature into the player that we came to admire during the 1990s.

Tim Tebow was thrown into the fray for three games during his first season and 11 games this season. He has done well despite not practicing with the first string offense until the 6th game of the season.

2. Kenny West says:

I commented that I think TT looks a lot like Steve Young below. Steve patiently played backup behind a QB at San Fran with a totally different style for years – Joe Montana. How many times did we hear “Young will never replace Montana,” or he’s “unpolished,” etc? The how many times after Joe moved on did we hear “Young to Rice – Touchdown!” TT is off to a much faster start than Steve Young – As Howard used to say, “He could go all the way.”

9. Gary says:

What Jesus is interested in is people coming to Him. Tim Tebow is bringing people to Him by what he is doing on the field. Simply AWESOME!!!. Thank you Jesus and the Holy Spirit you in dwell in us.

10. james says:

Why do you call Bill Maher a comedian? Has he ever said anything that was really funny?

1. Sjrago says:

Bill Maher is not a comedian,

he is the court jester,

nobody is laughing with him they are laughing at him,

All he is, is a fool on TV

2. Bobby Boucher says:

Bill Maher is just a jerk. His comedy is limited to making fun of anyone who doesn’t agree with his liberal fanaticism and anti-religious extremism.

Only a jerk would stoop so low as to make an Adolf Hitler/Satan joke about a guy because of his sincere religious faith.

11. Joe says:

“So, is it a football miracle? Or the perfect blend of luck, timing and big plays?”

First, allow me to correct your poor grammar: “So, is it a football miracle, or the perfect blend of luck, timing, and big plays?”

Second, allow me to suggest that Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos may be very talented.

12. Kenny West says:

The so-called “experts” who say this “cannot work for long” apparently never saw Steve Young of the 90s SF 49ers play. His style is almost identical – a strong running back playing quarterback, always a threat to run, able to turn a busted play into big yardage. Plus the kid is just plain good at it – and he will only get better,

He’s bringing back some excitement and fun to what has become a rather dull game at times. His religion is his business – It;s nice to see a good kid make it big,

13. len says:

i loathe football, but like Tebow. Let the man be who he is without over analyzing it.

1. Apachecav says:

Len I am with you I don’t just dislike football I don’t just hate foot ball, I loathe Football…. But Tim Tebow I like, Stand strong Tim, Stand Strong!

14. ross norris says:

What a great debate about how we believe and who we believe in. This young man has character and is demonstrating a quality not seen much in our society. I beleive you win or lose as a team. Tebow is the QB, but without a team he could not succeed. I like what he does off the field as well. His concern for children is stellar. He causes me to ask myself, am i doing all i can do to demonstrate my love for my Saviour?

15. manlyva says:

What people don’t realize is that Tim gives thanks whether he is successful or unsuccessful…which is a consistent trait of his faith. Reporters only report what they want, politicians tell you one thing and then do another, Tim is what is right in America. I’m not saying he isn’t without fault, his faith tells him he is a “sinner”, but he strives to become better and gives his all when it comes to the task at hand. Luck? Big Plays? Devine guidance? No…But his relationship with God is obvious, talking to him is only natural. Leave it alone and let the man do his thing!

16. lukuj says:

Just reading these comments shows us how this young man has brought people together, even dedicated fans of other teams. That alone is a positive thing he has accomplished and something of which God would approve.

1. Justme says:

Well said, Lukuj!

2. Eric B says:

Beautiful acknowledgement. So indicitive of Christ and his purpose. Jesus is going to bring one of two reactions: 1) foaming rabid anger and disgust. 2)honor and brotherhood. There’s no in between. Only Jesus causes this kind of anomoly.

3. Carol says:

I agree completely he has brought people together, unlike Obama the great divider.

17. happyday says:

Why not take him for what he is: a fine young man who happens to believe in God Stop all the analysis and let his Christianity go for what it is…..him! Back off and let the game go forward.

18. ONTIME says:

Your job Tebow is to get your team as far as it can go and win a Super Bowl, when you have done that then as a american citizen take your chances and make your dream life miserable by going on about politick, your choice.

You would be smart to do as you are and just play ball.

19. R. Crawford says:

Go Timmy Go!!!

20. Casey Storm says:

The Bible says darkness does not understand light. Maybe God does not care about football, but He does care about people getting to know Jesus and Tebow’s platform strengthens every time he wins. Tebow reflects the light (Jesus) and it is not surprising that many don’t understand.

Tebow has publicly stated that his first priority in life is NOT football. Maybe God cares about football now because He knows that the more notoriety Tebow gains, his influence on the Kingdom of God only increases.

1. JoeB says:

“Not lost in that flurry was that Tebow threw for 316 yards and set an NFL playoff record by averaging 31.6 yards. That’s “316,” as in John 3:16, one of the most-often cited Bible passages for Christians, the most widely searched item on Google for much of Sunday night into Monday,”

Would there be that many searches on “John 3:16” if Tebow had lost???

1. G Scott says:

Also, it is notable that Pittsburgh had the ball officially for:

Time of Possession 31:06

21. John Schuh says:

Tebow reminds me of Lou Gehrig as an athlete. Lou strong, with a good batting eye, who worked very,very hard to learn his first base position. He also adjusted his swinging style to raise his batting average. No power hitter has ever hit most consistently than Gehrig. Tebow has that same work ethic. If he gets to stay the course, he will get better technically. Another thing he seems to share with Gehrig. He is a hard man to bring down, and fierce competitor.

22. Dave says:

A while ago, Bill Cosby dismissed the critics by comparing Tebes to Joe Kapp. I’ll listen to the Cos.

23. Nate says:

Hey I’m a 50 yr old Chiefs fan but cheering on Denver and TEBOW all the way!!! Also my 16 year old daughter sees a shining example of a dedicated christian guy. And no they dont all have to be pro athletes, just true to Christ.
    I do hope they go all the way!!!!!!!
    316 very appropo!

24. Plausible Paul says:

I’m a Bears fan but did not mind losing to Tim Tebow. I’m a fan of TimTebow. Wish him and the Broncos the best of luck. We need more Tim Tebow’s in sports and in the world.

25. OldAg95 says:

Lost in most commentary (but not to Tebow) is that what has developed with Tim is highlighted numerous times throughout the Bible when God uses ordinary men to accomplish extraordinary things defying the “logic or expectations” of man so that through it He will be glorified. Moses (murderer, afraid to speak in public), David (adulterer, murderer, etc), Peter (hothead), fishermen, tax collectors, etc.

What is really funny is that the focus on the New Testament (Tebow) has taken the focus off the Old Testament (the Defense). OG can’t hold a candle to OT and the group led by Dennis Allen, Von Miller, etc (biased as I am an Aggie) is a prime example of Old Testament vengeance, aggression, and domination as inspiring as the New Testament side of the ball!

Actually, what you have with the team is the perfect combination of the judgement of the Old Testament combined with the inspiration and hope of the New Testament. And that makes for some exciting storylines.

Disclosure: No, Tim isn’t a messiah and the professor said it best, God doesn’t care about football, but he dang sure cares about all of those that play it.

26. Kram says:

down with Denver, down with Denver, hope Tebow can’t play on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Candio says:

I’m glad to learn the Tim won’t be endorsing any candidates.

28. CommentComet says:

Tim Tebow is Rosa Parks.

He is the VOICE of the Aborted and the Haters on the Left are cut to their hearts and souls by the evidence TIM presents that EVERY aborted fetus COULD have impacted the World.

1. Batman says:

yeah, negatively, he sucks, all he does is preach his garbage from the sideline and gets lucky on the field, plain and simple!!!!!!!!!

29. czervik says:

If you hate Tebow, what does that say about your life? Tim Tebow has done nothing malicious or harmful to anyone. I feel sorry for people like Bill Maher who must live with a lot of hate and resentment.

Like the religion professor in the article said, God doesn’t care about a football game. But maybe God uses the football game as a grand stage for one of His most devout followers to spread His message.

You don’t have to believe in the message Tebow conveys. But save yourself the pain that the bile pent up inside can create.

30. zeeuge says:

Tim is an inspiration.. if people of all ethnic backgrounds and all faiths are inspired to be good moral examples as Tim Tebow, I think it’s a worthy example.
    I pray Tim stays strong and I wish him good football play! Go Tim Tebow! Go Broncos!

31. lol says:

Tebow is using your hatred against you. You hate his faith. Hatred makes people weak and it makes them make mistakes. He knows your hatred has no power over him and so it turns on you. Needs someone to attack, doesn’t it?

32. Renee Perry says:

It amazes me the venom of those who hate the message Tebow is sending! he is an inspiration whether he wins or loses the next game. But I think it;s eerie if not coincidental the stats of this game and belieive that God is sending a message. God may not care a whit about football games but found the venue that would show the world who is still in charge here and appreciates the piousness of Tebow and the miracle of his background when his mother fought the doctors in order to keep her pregnancy with him! Wonderful story!

33. Me says:

Real men don’t endorse slimy politicians.

34. ThE ARBITER says:

You’re analysis that if you criticize his throwing motion “you must be against him because of his religion” and if you cheer him for winning, “you must be drinking the Kool-Aid” is FAULTY. First, if you analyze a “golf swing” for example and say well this guy doesn’t look like Sam Snead or Tiger or whoever, that’s one thing. But if the guy WINS 7 TOURNAMENTS IN A ROW, and you’re still criticizing his “swing”, theres something wrong with YOU. Either you think yourself all powerful and believe DESPITE EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY that golf can only be played one way, the evidence suggests that you’re an IDIOT or have a personal AXE TO GRIND with say , “Jim Furek” who’s swing looks like an attack with said AXE! But nobody still criticizes Furek’s swing. Because he WINS. But STRANGELY ENOUGH even while Teebow was WINNING he was STILL BEING CRITICIZED. You’re article left out all of the athletes that have told him that “he needs to shut up” about his religion! And if an athlete says that GOD gave him the victory WHO THE HELL ARE YOU MORONS IN THE PRESS TO SIMPLY “SKIP” OVER THAT WHEN TYPING THE QUOTE????? That’s HIS OPINION of why HE won! You’re liberal STUPIDITY betrays you.

1. thE ARBITER says:

wow. Sorry for all of the You’re vs your confusion in the above post! SMH

2. kat says:

Exactly! If Tim Tebow wants to give the “glory” to God, why does it offend? At least he is following his faith to its logical conclusion: God blessed me with skill, He allows me another day another play….God gets the glory. Very simple really. “If my people which are called by my name….” see II Chronicles 7:14….Tim Tebow is reasonable, haters are not.

35. jd says:

I was a huge Bear fan in the mid 1980’s with Ditka at the helm (and I was from Chicago). After that I slowly lost interest as more and more disrespectful thugs and bling freaks took over the game. I am now RE-BORN and fully engaged! GO TIM!!!

36. Eric B says:

People dislike Tebow becuse he is the antithesis to all the lame athletes that walk around saying “I’m not a role model, I’m not a role model”. You guys are right, you’re NOT role models….but this young man is and you can’t stand him for it. It shows you all for what you really are. Did you ever stop to think that just MAYBE if you acted more like this, then you just might get a little more respect from the fans. No, of course not. Because, you’re all too busy trying get people to accept your immoral lifestyles and fat undeserved paychecks rather than change your life for the better.

Pathetic

37. pfllt says:

Hey liberals – did you know that Muslims love Jesus, too? They believe he is a great teacher. Does that make it ok to attack Muslims and tell them their faith in God is stupid and wrong, like you do with Christians? Or are you just the cowardly hypocrites we all know you are and will only attack those you see as easy prey that no one (important) will defend? Why not see if you can tolerate Christians like you do Islam? Then you wouldn’t have to spew hate and judgement at so many. Wouldn’t that be much nicer?

38. jd says:

Her is what the COS was talking about!

1. kat says:

@jd
      FABULOUS! What COS was talking about , YES! Also what Tebow talks about : TEAM….notice that they wore colours and numbers NO NAMES….it was about the TEAM! not all flash and fame. Thank you jd for a GREAT link:

39. GreyGeek says:

When asked what God thinks about football Teabow replied, “God doesn’t care who wins football games.”

That put the game in the correct context. Teabow’s Faith is personal, and he has a right to express it any way he wants, anywhere he wants, those who would destroy the 1st Amendment not withstanding.

40. JP says:

God actually does care about football! God even cares who wins the Super Bowl! Listen to this if you disagree: http://newlifeindavie.com/media/sermons/does-god-care-who-wins-the-super-bowl/

41. charles says:

very smart to stay away from endorsment,

42. jason says:

The Broncos cheerleaders are demeaning to women. Tebow ought to criticize them.

1. meg says:

Why do you think he has to judge people?

43. Diff says:

The kid is probably right. Politicians I support over the years always end up supporting the left directly or indirectly. It’s been a real waste of time. Most of them have a problem with womanizing.And if I can refrain from womanizing, they certainly can.

44. GlockG20 says:

I have a novel idea… leave the religion in church and at home and just play the damn game! Really, just play the game and leave the theatrics out of it.

45. Alex says:

John 3:16 was the #1 search on yahoo yesterday. Tebow winning really has less to do than football and more about Tebow’s platform which is getting the message of the Cross to the world.

drewsdrain.wordpress.com

46. Andrew Williams says:

Bears fan but rooting for Tebow!

BTW, I think it’s smart that he chose not to endorse a candidate, I can’t say the same thing for most of the actors in Hollywood.

47. Kay says:

I hope Tebow doesn’t go political.

48. Dan Thomas says:

More people watched the Denver vs Pittsburgh game on Sunday than any other first round playoff game since 1988; 43 million viewers, I think I read. How awesome would it be if just 25% of those viewers paid $25 to become members of the Tim Tebow Foundation and get a Tebow T-Shirt. For those “iffy” at math, that would be almost $269 MILLION dollars for the world’s poorest children.

49. jay smith says:

to good folks in denver
    your Q-B is a winner bottom line
    the line knows it
    the receivers knows it
    the defence knows it
    I have had the pleasure of watching this kid in collage.
    he has that special kind of demenor in the huddle and on the field.
    and folks iam from the sec i know what a winner looks like.
    tim tebow is a winner……..

50. Kathleen3 says:

More than the excitement Tim Tebow brings to the game is the fact that young boys finally have a role model in sports. This talented young man has the character, morals, ethics and compassion that is so rare in so many yet packaged into one human being. He serves as an inspiration to young and old alike.

51. snowwwizard says:

for all the nay sayers – remember #16 the superbowl 25 mvp Jim Plunkett – he lived through ridicule and scorn as well as a QB and he couldn’t run or scramble but he was big 6’3″ and hard to bring down – in the end he got it done in ’81 – Raiders were wild card all the way and he lead them – BTW he took grief off the field as well for not partying all the time – why, cause he was doting on his parents because he was a good son , oh, and they were blind

52. BRadNC says:

Thank God for the REAL deal.

53. liz ramsey says:

‘But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength;they shall mount up with wings as eagles;they shall run,and not be weary;and they shall walk ,and not faint Isaiah 41:31

54. mulistic says:

It is amazing to me how thinly veiled is the hatred spewed by the “open minded” set. If I have learned nothing else in my near-half century of travels, I have found that the more adamantly pro-diversity and open minded a person claims to be, the less tolerance they have for anyone, or anything that differs from their beliefs.

55. mulistic says:

To clarify, I am referring to the mass media’s treatment of Tim Tebow for as long as I can remember.

56. Adam Smith says:

Tebow played a great game. When Tebow came on as QB Denver was 1-4, going nowhere and turned around. The reality is that he is a great leader, he reads the field well, he is a very tough runner and, as we saw from the Pittsburgh game he can throw very accurate perfect long spirals but throws poor spirals that are inaccurate wobbling ducks for medium and short distances. As I see it, he can improve his short and medium throws by just adopting the motion he uses for his short throws. Work to be done but this is a second year player in his first year as a starter and in case anybody forgot, what matters is winning the game. The fact that he is a genuine, authentic, moral human being with a strong set of values is excellent but the main point is that since he came on Denver turned their year around. Great for him and for his team-mates who follow his lead and have become a resilient lot. It is sort of pathetic that all sorts of anti-Christian bigots hate him precisely because he is true to his values, because he genuinely lives his values by serving the unfortunate. They can worship philanderers like Clinton, or tax cheats like Rangel, or dog fighters like Vick but let someone actually believe that he should live out Christian values and this inspires intense hatred. Just remarkable . . . .and sad.

57. William Merica says:

Interesting take on the whole Tebow phenomenon.

“What Businesses, Atheists and Believers Can Learn From Tim Tebow”

58. ed zeppelin says:

>an uncomfortable question upon those who want to make it only about what happens between the lines.

Does God really care about football?

This is NOT the question. The real question raised by the Tebow phenomenon is: why are so many people so uncomfortable with Tebow’s unabashed and frequent mentions of’his lord and savior Jesus Christ’?

59. Evangalic Atheist says:

Being forced too wach Tebow commit prayer at football games violates my first amendment right to seperation of church and state. WHy dont atheists sue him for forcing his religioun on others?

1. Richard says:

Uummm…because he’s not. One, you are not forced to watch the Broncos games. Two, the NFL is not the Federal, state, or local government. Three, there is no constitutional right to not be offended.

Tebow isn’t forcing anything on anyone. Just change the channel. Watch the Cowboys or Eagles. But please…actually read the Constitution someday. You just might actually learn something. Like there’s no actual ‘separation of church and state”. That is from a Supreme Court ruling in the 60’s. What the Bill of Rights does say is that the “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. Meaning Congress shall not create a state sponsored religion, nor make a law against any religion. It says nothing about a private entity such as the NFL, Broncos, CBS or Tim Tebow. They are all free to pray, worship and believe anything, anywhere and yes even on tv.

Sorry about using facts to answer your question. It happens.

60. alisa kablotsky says:

Tim Tebow would do well to remember what the Bible says about praying in public:

Matthew 6:5-6
    5: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Showing off is not showing faith. Forcing your faith down your teammates throats is not faith. He’s just doing it to show off. Not a good thing for someone who says he’s a Christian to do.

61. Sparky2 says:

Tebow is smart not to endorse anyone because he is already despised by the liberal media and athiest groups. He will be a great candidate for the senate when he decides to leave football….and of course he will be a republican conservative. But for now, he will and should stay out of politics.

62. nolie says:

One more reason to like Tebow. If only the slobbering maddog liberals in Hollywood and in sports would follow his example and spare us their “thoughts” on politics.

63. Drake says:

What if Tebow was black? Do you believe the criticism would be the same? This whole Tebow thing is just the result of envy.

64. Mark Sands says:

I would be very surprised if Tim Tebow considered himself religious. True Christianity should be the least religious of all the belief systems, including atheism and secular humanism.

Jesus was decidedly opposed to religious practices. The except is noted in James 1. True Christianity is about relationship and springs from a deep, deep love of our Saviour. Love for all people will always flow out of the true Christian. Tim Tebow is an example of that, but with an amazing platform to show it.

65. no says:

What the fick is a tebow.

66. PixelDuster says:

It’s so nice to see so many people acknowledging the good of people. Maybe there is hope for this country yet!

67. matt says:

The auto-refreshing is very annoying on this site. Hard to watch a video when you are automatically being auto-refreshed. ugh

68. The Down Payment Assistance Guy says:

You are so interesting! I do not suppose I’ve truly read anything like that before. So wonderful to discover someone with some genuine thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is something that’s needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

69. Upper Deck says:

All of the Articles were thoughtful. Quick read enjoyed everything Insightful Definately appreciated your hard work- want you to know you have a great site.

70. Play Yard says:

This is a topic which is close to my heart… Cheers! Exactly where are your contact details though?

71. test says: