COMING UP: Don't miss Xfinity Monday Live, with special guest Former Broncos WR Brandon Stokley. Watch it on CBS4 at 6:30 p.m. or head to ViewHouse Centennial to see it live!

EVERGREEN, Colo. (CBS4) – A house in Evergreen was seriously damaged after a fire Monday morning that started because of ashes on a porch.

The fire started at 8:30 a.m.

The Evergreen Fire Department said the homeowners had a fire going the previous evening. When the fire was out they put the ashes in a garbage bag on the back porch. High winds blew the ashes onto the outside of the house, causing it to catch fire.

There was smoke damage to some bedrooms but firefighters said they’re lucky it wasn’t worse.

“In this area it’s real dry, so the initial response was us firefighters putting the fire out in a timely fashion. It was the key. It kept us from fighting a forest fire today,” a firefighter told CBS4.

The owners are out of their home but should be back within the next few days.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

NEWS TEAM
Future Leaders

Watch & Listen LIVE