VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Sign up now for Xcel Energy Day of Service on Sept. 10 (More Information)

Nurses File Lawsuit Over Time To Dress For Work

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4)– Two nurses have filed a lawsuit over the time it takes to put on and take off their scrubs. They want to get paid to dress.

The class action lawsuit was filed by two nurses at Aurora Medical Center. They believe more employees of the hospital group both locally and nationwide will join in the lawsuit once their complaint is heard.

“We have to go into a certain area not by the time clock, to find our size, which is not readily available and then change and then go back to the time clock and punch in,” said Aurora Medical Center nurse Natalie Fiore.

Fiore and Lisa Stransky have filed a lawsuit against HealthOne of Denver, the parent company of Aurora Medical Center. They said it became a problem when they were written up specifically for attempting to clock in before they changed and for being late to their unit as a result of the scrub change.

The attorney representing the nurses, Kyle Bachus, said 15 minutes doesn’t seem like much time, but it adds up quickly over a year.

“That might sound insignificant unless you are the single mom who is showing up to work 15 minutes early and leaving 15 minutes late so you can accomplish these tasks for every shift. You multiply that by nurses, hours and shifts over years and it is a significant amount of time,” said Bachus.

“I am a single parent, I have teens and I want to be home as soon as I can. All of this is time consuming,” said Fiore.

HealthOne released this statement regarding the lawsuit, “We have and always will look out for the best interest of our employees and that includes complying with the Fair Labor Standards Act.”

Comments

1. Reba says:

When did we become such a sue happy society/ It is ridiculous that the courts allow such frivolous lawsuits to be brought and tax payer money wasted on such nonsense. I had a job where I was required to change clothes for work and it took no where near 15 minutes to throw on a pair of scrubs.

1. Alfred Cianfrani says:

This is not a frivolous lawsuit. Imagine having to spend 30 minutes a day at work 5 days a week not getting paid, just because you didnt doesnt mean other people dont, read the article. That is 2.5 hours a week, 10 hours a month, 120 hours a year the employer steals from you @ 35 dollars an hour they steal roughly $4200 out of your pocket of the course of a year. Multiply that by 250 nurses and one hospital is stealing 30000 man hours from employees and $1,050,000 from their wallets to fill their board trust pocket payment. Amen for American workers standing up for their rights and shame on the morons who think it is ok….

1. Alfred Cianfrani says:

I just read my comment and liked it even more!

2. John says:

You an idiot too. It goes along with the job, like it or leave it. If your making $35 an hr, big deal. Grow up along with these other two worthless idiots and deal with it. It goes along with this entitlement issue this country seems to have an issue with. Your not entitled to everything you might think you are.

3. Jerry Batsford says:

THEY ARE NOT WORKING – THEY ARE CHANGING CLOTHES…

4. Casper says:

Alfred, you are a complete, self-centered ass. Your job require a uniform. Buy your own and have it ready for work. Your inability to complete this most basic requirement tells me all I need to know of how you operate in your job. I repeat, “what an ass!” Probably vote ‘Democrat’ to boot!

5. PD says:

I’m sure these two clock out everytime they go to the restroom, talk about last nights episode of Dancing With The Stars, grab a free cup of coffee, or take a personal phone call.

I would bet you Alfred time spent doing these things far outweigh getting properly clothed for their job.

6. Steve M. says:

Hey Al-

It’s frivolous

They are supposed to report to work, wearing proper attire. They are free to purchase their own uniforms and it is called a tax deduction.

Just because I want to wear Levi’s, but have to wear a suit to work, does that mean that my employer has to pay me to change my clothes or is it already part of my job description in the form of a dress code?

This is such BS.

7. RNsrock says:

Read the article, they are NOT free to wear their own scrubs.

8. Darin Clements says:

If it takes someone 15 minutes to throw on scrubs, they are idiots.

9. Teresa Davis says:

alfred dont get a big head but your right,every company has meeting ever day how to get out of paying something too the employee,heck some get big bonus when they do this, i say hang in there women, and men, fight for your rights because they fight too not give them too you.

10. Jimmyjohn says:

As frivolous as they come. I can guarantee that there are 15 minutes in their day that they are being paid and not working. It all comes out in the wash. When you consider the amount of people out of work this story rubs me the wrong way.

11. abby says:

I agree Alfred. For those of you saying buy your own uniform. READ THE ARTICLE DUH!
        you have to change at work and can’t leave with the scrubs on! Those of you who are poo pooing this lawsuit are idiots pure and simple.
        They are FORCING us to go to work ATLEAST 15min early to sort through the scrubs to find our size…if our size isn’t there we have to search and wait or wear one that’s way too big. Then we have to report to the floor ONTIME or get written up. So truly if I don’t want to be late I show up 20-30min early just to find my size.
        We can’t wear the scrubs home because dummies…we’ll spread infectious diseases all over town and our homes since typically we are coughed on, sneezed on, thrown up on, shat upon etc etc etc. You really really really want us to change before we leave lest we pass on a bit of MRSA to you at the grocery store. Your welcome

12. David B says:

you forgot to divide by 3 (lawyers pay). How about the 35 doctors that make 45 patients each wait 65 minutes per patient. How about dell computer that each day makes 50,000 people wait on hold for 35 min each? How about the 300 30 sec ads I have to wait for on the internet each week? How about the 3,000,000 govt workers that work split shifts ripping off the people for billions each week?

13. Notyou says:

@Alfred

RN’s are exempt from the FLSA under the Professional Job classification, just as I am as an engineer. If they have a problem with the way management counts their hours, take it up with the union. If the union doesn’t back them, find another job or shut up and row.

14. Buck Williams says:

We have become a country of friggin’ crybabies.

15. laffinatit says:

you must be a union worker or representative…

16. lastrep says:

OK then, let’s make those nurses clock out when they take a break, take a smoke, talk about The View, get a coffee, go to lunch, and use the bathroom.
        Hey, you want to complain about not getting paid for changing clothes, how about not getting paid for lunch, talkiing on the phone, etc.

17. BCre8f2 says:

Standing up for their rights? They’re lucky to have jobs and I’m sick of the whining. And by the way, I doubt that the hospital is “pocketing” much money. They’re forced to eat the costs of people that use the system without paying. I say enough of the give aways.

18. Jackie Sutherland says:

If it is required they change at work they should “clock-in” once they enter the changing/locker rooml…not 20 mins. later. I totally think they should get paid for this “job requirement”. Dressing and undressing once a day or a hundred times a day for yourself isn’t a requirement for duty. If you have to enter the hospital, undress, redress then undress and redress post shift it should be included in your pay. Otherwise you would just show up in your work attire and perform surgery and such in street clothes. The hospital needs to suck it up as a “patient safety/concern” issue. It’s absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise.

Have you been to the hospital lately? They refuse to let you take your prescribed medication from your cheaper medication refill you picked up from the pharmacy yourself,and must sell you an Ibuprofen for $8.00. $8.00 for an ibuprofen.

Pay them to change clothes. For caregivers to start and end their shift feeling underpaid and overworked is not how I want my caregivers to feel every time they step onto the floor.

My Mother is a nurse, my Mother-In-Law is a nurse, my Grandmothers were both nurses but I am not a nurse. I am a caregiver as well as a care receiver.

Quality of care is the main reason people go home from the hospital and from rehab. Quality of care is based upon education and job satisfaction. If my nurse wants paid to dress and undress please tack my share onto my bill. Let her know I’m willing to pay the extra and I’ll bet I’m more likely to go home than you are.

19. Barbara says:

I completely agree with you! Apparently people who have replied to you did NOT read the part where it says: “These nurses are required to wear scrubs while on the job. Those scrubs are not allowed to leave the hospital. The process could add 15 minutes to their shift.” Which means that they can NOT come to work dressed and they can NOT leave the hospital in their scrubs! I get what you are saying! I work in healthcare myself, however we come in with our scrubs already on and leave with the same scrubs! If your jon requires you to not come to work dressed ready to work and they state you have to dress and undress before entering or leaving the location then they should be paid for it!

20. mary jones says:

Alfred, I am truly ashamed at your stupidity. You should not “like your comment even more” because it is nonsense! Shame on you for representing what this pathetic country is turning into. Let’s sue because we are lazy! SICK.

P.S. AND, personally, I would find someone a little brighter than these broads to stand up for in the future – my cats could put on scrubs in less than 15 minutes. Seriously, what a joke. Idiots.

21. Garret says:

Yeah, if employers deducted every minute they caught you NOT working, people would be unhappy also. You know all those employees texting, facebooking, on the clock etc. WHY DON’T THEY GET PAID FOR THE DRIVE THEY HAVE TO MAKE TO WORK. How about the time it takes them to get ready for work at home too. Where does it stop. AND you wonder why the jobs in America are not there anymore???

22. RN says:

its putting them on and taking them off and redressing.

23. Bill+ says:

You must be union…….besides, who takes 15 minutes to put on scrubs?

2. rodpeters says:

what about your time driving to work? and driving home from work? some don’t get paid for their lunch time…why not? Hell, I wouldn’t wake up some mornings if it were not for work so why not get paid for taking a shower and eating breakfast? I am trying to be sarcastic but it is getting harder and harder these days with stuff like this…

1. swampio says:

Wish I could give a ‘thumbs up’ for your comment!

2. Jackie Sutherland says:

Ridiculous argument. These are extra requirements by an employer regardless of your personal hygiene or feeding habits. Actually many contract workers get paid for their driving time after 30 mins drive if they are needed so badly. It truly depends on the company as well as the demand for the skill…talking about OTs, PTs, SLPs, Nurses…mainly healthcare because we are overworked and underpaid!

3. Barbara says:

Your comments have NOTHING to do with the topic. If you had PROPERLY read the part in the article that CLEARLY states: “These nurses are required to wear scrubs while on the job. Those scrubs are not allowed to leave the hospital. The process could add 15 minutes to their shift.” you would see that this scrub issue is something that the EMPLOYER had made a rule that they cannot leave the hospital wearing their scrubs. So therefore they are being asked to come in dressed in regular clothes, get dressed for work AT work, and then clock in to begin work. I am sorry but if you are telling your employee that they have to come in before their ACTUAL shift to get dressed so they can start their work you better be paying them for those extra few minutes!

3. Teddy Roosevelt says:

Well Reba, you that you are truly fortunate. I also have to change into a uniform before work, but I can take mine home if I desire, as I’m sure you can too. But these people have to check their uniforms out, and in every day. Guess what, the law states that they are entitled to pay for this time, as it is required that they meet the dress code, and they may not come or go in said uniform. The hospital had the opportunity to read the statute, and comply, but either refused or failed to. Now the nurses are exercising their rights to have their grievance heard in the proper venue for enforcement of the statute. And you know what? I guarantee you that they’ll prevail.

BTW, the reason I can wear my uniform to and from work is because my employer doesn’t want to pay me an extra 20 minutes a day to don and remove my required clothing

1. Barbara says:

THANK YOU FOR READING THE ARTICLE! Finally someone with common sense and and education!

4. Mary Strong says:

I think the saddest part of the story is that it got to this level. Why couldn’t management address the concern in an appropriate manner? Did the employees not bring it to their attention earlier? Some other conclusion could have been reached outside of a lawsuit. Even the lowliest of employees are usually compensated for required job related activities (at least initially). Was it in their contract that they weren’t allowed to leave the hospital with their “uniform”? Was it in their contract that they would not be paid for time they used to change? If not, they have valid reason. If so, they don’t. There were other options to solve the problem before this absurdity.

2. Thomas Ciesla says:

Tuff! In today’s world and economy you complain about a half hour. Get real or find another line of work.

3. WILLIE RN says:

YOU GET REAL! THESE PEOPLE/NURSES ARE TAKING CARE OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. IF THE COMPANY REQUIRES IT, THEN JUST PAY THEM FOR GOSH…WHY DO THEY HAVE TO GO TO THIS EXTREME? YOU SHOULD BE ASKING THAT? OUR SOCIETY HAS TO SUE, BECAUSE OF PEOPLE, MUCH LIKE YOU ALL, THAT WONT JUST DO THE RIGHT THING. DONT BE A HYPOCRITE, YOUR COMPANY CHEATS YOU OUT OF MONEY DUE, IT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT STORY!!!!

1. drew says:

Waaaaaa… hey I think your caps lock button is broken.

2. Casper says:

Shut up, idiot!

3. Darin Clements says:

And you wonder why healthcare costs so much? Idiots like you.

4. Dan Smith says:

I have to dress for work everyday too.I am not greedy or stupid enough to think my company should pay me for it.Next these clowns will want to be paid for their commuting time as well.

1. Barbara says:

READ THE ARTICLE!!! It clearly states ‘These nurses are required to wear scrubs while on the job. Those scrubs are not allowed to leave the hospital. The process could add 15 minutes to their shift.” Which in turn means these nurse’s could not come dressed in their own scrubs and they could not leave in scrubs so therefore they would come to work dressed in regular clothes and be MADE to change into scrubs AT WORK and then clock in! That is NOT right!

5. Frank says:

Definition of “Employ”
    By statutory definition the term “employ” includes “to suffer or permit to work.” The workweek ordinarily includes all time during which an employee is necessarily required to be on the employer’s premises, on duty or at a prescribed work place. “Workday”, in general, means the period between the time on any particular day when such employee commences his/her “principal activity” and the time on that day at which he/she ceases such principal activity or activities. The workday may therefore be longer than the employee’s scheduled shift, hours, tour of duty, or production line time.

this is part of the gripe. It is the law that if they are required to be at work to get dressed then they should be paid for it

1. D. Bennett says:

This should not have to be a law suit. Look up IBP v. alvarez and the Barber food Surpreme Court desisions. They state if you must prepare for work with special preperation, that must be done onsite, it is time on the clock. The courts have already decided in the nurses favor. The Dept. of Labor again not doing it’s job.

6. Mike says:

“That might sound insignificant unless you are the single mom who is showing up to work 15 minutes early and leaving 15 minutes late so you can accomplish these tasks for every shift. ”

What?!? Where I work we don’t get paid for lunch, so if we leave for 30 minutes we have to make that time up. That means coming in 15 minutes early and staying 15 minutes late. Every… single… day. Unless we don’t take a lunch, in which case we can work the normal 8 hours. I guess I should sue my employer, too.

1. koala girl says:

If you are working an 8 hour day, you are entitled by law to two 15 minute paid breaks and one unpaid 30 minute lunch. If you don’t take your allotted two breaks individually, you should be able to combine them into one 30 minute “lunch” break. That way, you get your lunch and don’t have to make up the time.

1. Mark says:

Might want to check YOUR state law to make sure its 15 minutes. In mine its 10 minute breaks. Many companies are nice though and give 15 min paid breaks. And no, that kind of flexibility is not usually allowed, expect when the management “fudges.”

2. Pete says:

Actually there is no federal requirement for break time, vacation, and only limited requirement for sic time (unpaid). Any break time requirements exist only exist at the state level.

3. Miss Lady says:

Actually, if you aren’t a minor, companies are not required to give you any paid breaks. Fyi, if you’re getting any breaks, it’s out of the goodness of your companies heart. There may be certain state laws that go against the Federal law, but I know in my state it’s not a requirement, and I have worked jobs where there were no scheduled breaks, it was a “when you find a chance to stuff food in your face or smoke a cigarette, because you have 5 seconds where there isn’t a customer, do it” kind of situation.

2. rodpeters says:

i would also suggest that once getting paid for getting dressed, the time required would jump to 25 minutes or half an hour. why not when already clocked in.

3. mike says:

The hospital here makes employees buy their own scrubs and no problem. The scrubs the hospital used to furnish were stolen so much that they had to start making them buy their own! Kids in school were wearing them to school. Only rule was that you could only use them six months and had to buy new ones every six months. Reason was safety reason. had to be sterile and after six months i think it became an issue on being safe for patients.

7. denvervet says:

Oh my God……how stupid. It takes most people even longer to prepare and dress for work. Its just a part of life ladies! So what if they were women who were execs and had to do thier hair, make-up and biz suit, etc. to look presentable to clients? SAME THING! I iron everything so It takes me a long time to get dressed, my employer should pay for that? Ladies, be happy you have a career and that you are doing a very important job for society, and we appreciate it, but dont expect your patients to have to pay for time for you to dress! Jerks!

1. oregonRN says:

The patients don’t pay because most of them are on welfare, you and the rest of us will pay with our taxes, jerk!

8. Sconnie says:

Find a new job then. This is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER heard. You have a job and a good one at that. You probably have an allowance for scrubs and they are laundered for you. There are alot of people who have to pay for their work clothes and dry cleaning bills. As far as I see it your employer is actually SAVING you money. Scrubs are cheap, nice dress clothes and dry cleaning are not. Learn to dress and undress faster or find a new job. While you are dressing you ARE NOT providing patients with care. Why should you be paid? No sympathy here.

1. shery says:

they don’t take them home they dress at the place of work fool

1. test says:

they didn’t have to spend time at home getting dressed fool

2. RNsrock says:

I worked in surgery for 5 years…I had to wear their scrubs and be ready BEFORE my start time, digging for my size..sometimes we’d pick them out the day before and stash them in our lockers..sometimes the laudry didn’t have enough clean ones in there for everyone…it was a scramble. .I did indeed have to also dress BEFORE I went to the hospital…unless I went in there nude….silly.

3. RN says:

thats not the point, in nurses cases its the law.

9. Merdie says:

where i used to work, people can get away with everything showing up late, playing solitaire all day, texting all day,b.s., whine all day and get special treatment ! Oh heres’ more…spying for other co-wokers just like them…do nothing all day ! Sound familiar !!!!!!!

10. maineicecube says:

Ummm… If it is required and they can’t take the scrubs home then they really should get paid as part of their job duty… I get dressed for work every day, as do these women and other nurses like them… But unlike them, my employer does not require that I then ALSO put on something that they require and do not allow me to take home and manage on my own… So in effect they are being asked to dress TWICE for their day of work… And as such should get paid for it as part of their requirement… Outside of that, give the staff scrubs to take home and wear to work if you don’t want to pay them for it….

1. Denver R says:

I just never get this idea of what an employer “should” do. If they don’t like it….QUIT. Nobody has a gun to their head. They are demanding that hospital costs go up with zero increase in patient care. Yeah, great selfless nurses.

1. RN says:

Nurses are anything but selfless. We take care of others all day, regardless if we get to eat, pee, or drink. Selfless my ass.

11. Dave says:

I have to shower before I go to work…can I do that on the clock? I have to get dressed before I go to work, can I get paid for that? What about the time it takes me to drive to work? I should get paid for that too. And don’t forget about my time combing my hair or brushing my teeth. Heck, I should start getting paid the minute my alarm clock goes off.

15 minutes to throw some scrubs on? Are you ironing your cloths before you hang them up in the locker?

I bet if you went back far enough you could find nurses at that hospital that were getting paid to change, and they were probably taking 30-45 minutes as they gabbed about whatever lame TV show was on last night. After repeated warnings the rules were probably changed to actually get them to work.

1. MadMurphy says:

It has nothing to do with what they do at home. It has to do with the fact that they are required to put on their uniform AT WORK and they have to search for the uniforms everyday adding more time. If they could take their uniforms home they would not complain and have no problem. Next time you decide to comment on an article you should READ IT FIRST.

12. Tim says:

I work at a Hospital in Wisconsin that requires surgical scrubs, you have to wear and can’t take home, and it is something I am paid to change into and out of at the beginning and end of my shift. It takes me roughly 2 minutes, each time, to do this. So you go girls, because if you win, it looks like I will now have time for breakfast with the other 26 minutes of my day that I am not changing. I mean, 26 more minutes of helping patients!

13. GetReal says:

This is the most ridiculous lawsuit I’ve heard in a while. I used to work in a patient care environment where scrubs were provided for me and it only took 5 minutes to change as a female. Save your locker room chatter for the report room. I’m sure your teenagers by now know that you’ll be home around a specific time. I doubt that 10-20 minutes away from them is a huge crisis. How about they save the taxpayer’s time and money and quit complaining. At least they have a job to go to.

14. Observer says:

Ridiculous. They should be glad they actually have jobs.

15. Boeing says:

To Free Willie RN

I dress for work and don’t get paid for it. You’re asking for too much, Next thing you will want is for someone to cook,clean and change you’re diaper for free. Deal with it. You have a job…feel greatfull you daft git.

1. oregonRN says:

what is “daft git”?

2. RN says:

ya i dress to go to work, but then I undress and redress.

16. Creighton says:

fun to read all these comments from people that are nowhere near the situation…this is the third time I ve tried to post, but it seems that a moderator must not like what I am writing…this lawsuit is not about the money…it s about a hospital administration that will not listen to it s employees.it allows one individual to ruin the working enviornment for several dedicated and caring nurses…many whom have left (as suggested above) for other jobs…the only way to wake the admin up was to hit them over the head..which is what this is…very easy to judge when one is not walking in anothers shoes..

1. Denver R says:

“this lawsuit is not about the money…”

Do you know how absurd that is, and is said for EVERY silly money grabbing lawsuit ever filed. And whaa, poor nurses, then they can quit. Last I checked this isn’t Russia.

2. SO AWARE says:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH U!

17. Ian Miller says:

The nurses union is one of the reasons medical costs are out of control. Ask these nurses what they were making a few years ago – they get paid according to how many years they’ve been a nurse; doesn’t matter how good they are – some of these slugs are pulling down $150,000 per year ++. That’s just ridiculous. They’ve hit the lottery thanks to their union!

1. RNsrock says:

$150k a year??? Sign me up! Ian, show me the money…and the benefits, do some research…hard to even find full time with benefits anymore.

These nurses were written up because they were late for their start time because they had to go to a seperate area to dress…I know those surgery scrub rooms are a mess. It’s not about money, it’s about keeping their job safe.

1. HCA employee says:

Try UCSF. My friend started at $86, and in Cali they get overtime for working more than 8 hrs in a day. If you only work 3 shifts a week, you can make around $3.6K per week. Work a few extra shifts and you can get there… thanks to Unions! (Ug… to think we contribute to the CA bankruptcy situation kinda sickens me…)

18. yes we can! says:

jobs will come back and the economy will boom.

19. jeanmarinemom says:

Tomorrow is Veterans Day A soldier is mssing sleep and sleeps in Uniforms often the same one for idiots like these. But if its a real problem ton’s of companies have uniforms assigned to people. Assign enough scrubs to each nurse and she can wear them home and too work..

1. healthcarethinktank says:

Wear the scrubs home? Do the words surgery and sterile come to mind. ASC scrubs are not allowed to be taken home and are laundered using a special process.

20. Denver R says:

Selfish idiots. Everybody spends time dressing for work and doesn’t get paid for it. And if it really takes you 15 minutes to put scrubs on, you are incompetent as well. I can put a suit and tie on in 5 or less. So they are lying about the time. And who cares, it is a requirement. And I’ll just bet you that the reason they have scrubs there for them to change into is that earlier selfish nurses thought it was “unfair” to have to buy their own scrubs. Just disgusting. Gimme Gimme Gimme. And people wonder why healthcare costs keep going up like crazy.

1. RNsrock says:

Yeah Denver, you would want a nurse in scrubs from home in surgery with you. Or with your preemie.

21. Phil McKraken says:

The hospital will eventually win – even if they have to start paying for the time, they will just deduct from the hourly wages that they pay.

22. healthcarethinktank says:

In a properly designed ASC they will clock in just before entering the lockerroom, which presumably is used for those eventually entering “clean” surgery areas. This is not the same thing as getting dressed to be an accountant or an auto mechanic.

1. Denver R says:

These are nurses wearing scrubs, let’s not church it up. It takes 2 minutes. It is just like getting dressed for any other job. It is absolutley normal to have to do some things for your job that you don’t actually get paid for. Good lord. If this lawsuit is successful it will mean more costs with no increase in care. THIS is why we can’t get healthcare costs under control, silly selfish lawsuits.

1. Dan Scully says:

Why should it be normal to do work and not get paid for it? That makes no sense to me. I feel that the public debate over fair work rules/organized labor has become one of resentment and jealousy instead of steadily improving everyone’s situation. People are upset over union health care plans that are better than their own non-union health care plan. The goal shouldn’t be to get rid of the union plan, the goal should be that we all have better health care. Walmart locks employees inside overnight or makes them under report hours, but post a story about it and people will complain that at least they have jobs. Shouldn’t unemployment be the issue? Shouldn’t abusive employers be the issue? Why do we attack those who are trying to make a better workplace? It makes no sense.

23. Kelvin says:

W H A T ???????

24. Nancy Stock says:

As a retired nurse, I wish I would have gotten paid for all the lunches i could not take because my patients were too sick to leave and no one else could watch them.

25. Getalife says:

I’m a police officer who is required to wear a uniform. I come in and change and DO NOT get paid for it. It’s part of the job. Don’t like it, get a job where you can wear civvies!! Do these people agree to be docked 15 minutes when they sit down to relieve themselves??

1. Susan says:

Thank you for this comment and for serving as a police officer. If people don’t want jobs with uniforms, then go elsewhere. The nurses make a VERY decent hourly wage, and fabulous benefits, regardless of quality of care. Some are fantastic, some not so much as we all know. They should be glad they have a job at all.

2. Got a Life says:

I’m a cop too, and I hate to say it but it was likley our doing that gave these two the idea. Police Unions, including one in Colorado Springs, have won the right to get paid for “donning and doffing” uniforms. I was embarrassed by it when it was cops and my wife, the nurse, is embarrassed by it now.

I have no problem with then saying that part of their shift start is to get into scrubs, but 15 minutes? I am inot my uniform; vest, uniform with pins/badge/ gunbelt, and tac boots in less than 5. Come on ladies. Have some pride.

26. scott says:

How come they can’t bring their own scrubs?

1. Casper says:

Proper sanitation. Or lack thereof. That’s “How come”.

2. Tom Andrews says:

If they work in tghe Operating Room, they must use hospital provided scrubs.

27. TiredOfLazyPeople says:

I’d like to know how much time they spent chatting with co-workers during the course of a normal shift. Think they should be docked for that time? What if you’re paying your auto mechanic by the hour and find out he spent 20 minutes talking to his girlfriend on the phone? Would you be willing to cough up the cash for that part of his bill?

28. fantasin says:

If it takes them 30 minutes to change in and out of scrubs, I suspect it probably takes them a half hour to dump a bed pan also. If these nurses can’t comply with universally accepted work rules, then perhaps they should quit their 5 percenter jobs and nurse the one percenters down at Occupy Denver.

29. Jimmy says:

The nurses are right – all you suckers who think they are wrong should look at yourselves and ask how you became such defenders of the corporations. 15 minutes is 15 minutes and they have no right to steal it from you. Or better yet – just take it back from your employee some other way.

30. StormWX says:

Great tactic – deflect attention away from the fact that you consistently report late for work by complaining you don’t have enough time to change into your scrubs! Brilliant!

31. DRP says:

Stupid lawsuit. Since they don’t need to get fully dressed at home, then they should be able to leave home earlier than someone who must get fully dressed. Throwing on a pair of jeans and tshirt for your drive to the hospital takes less than a minute. Essentially, these nurses are spending the time at the hospital getting dressed, that would have been spending at home.

32. Darin Clements says:

Someone call Gloria Allred!

33. nomoregore says:

Right On!! Power to the People!! They ought to get paid for taking showers (can’t have stinky nurses) and getting their hair and nails done (even the swishy ones). Oh, yes and their gym fees (can’t have unfit caregivers, now, can we?) Oh, yes and their Weight Watchers plans and their masseuses and their psychic readers.

34. thegal says:

Actually, the semiconductor industry has done this. We have to wear clean room attire. We have to gown up and down for breaks and before and after work. A court ruled that it is work related. I can see that same issue as work related. Although it takes me two to 3 min. to take my suit off and on and it takes about 5 to find a clean one.

35. watchdog says:

I read it too Alfred, and now I’m in the bathroom pushing out something very similar.

36. clawster says:

I worked at GM as an electrician. I had to wear special arc-flash uniform for safety. We were paid to change at work (not allowed to take unis home, washed by Cintas, special). It was not a negotiation. There has been some ruling just for this, and they have to pay the employee to un/change.

37. pamik says:

That’s what’s wrong with healthcare. Nothing but money-grubbers anymore. Yes, 15 minutes does add up but come on. One way to alleviate this is to move the scrubs closer and a clock in the same area. Maybe they should be timed as to how much time is really wasted.

1. RNsrock says:

Maybe hospital administration should do just that Pamik, but they haven’t. Instead they disciplined them for not being ready. I know nobody who takes more vacation, makes sure they don’t work more than their 8 hours, does more “nothing” than my experience with hospital Administrators.

38. Tom says:

If they are required to wear scrubs and change in a certain area, if they leave that area is it the same clenliness situation as the area they are plutting on their scubs. If not is this causing harm to the patients they will be assiting with the operation on. Seems like a sanitary issue to me.

39. jeanvioletrose says:

Money aside…this is about health and safety standards, I wouldn’t want a health care professional possibly wearing dirty scrubs to my surgery or bedside and am glad the ladies have to wear clean garments each day. I also assume that in the course of their day/shift if their scrubs become soiled they would be on the clock when they changed. I wouldn’t want my surgical equipment to be brought into the surgery in the pockets of the surg. tech. I would expect clean sterial equipment perpared by someone at the hospital–scrubs included—scrubs are not only clothes but equipment for the job

40. Reasonable says:

This is simple really. If 30 min. a day is such a trivial amount (as so many here are implying), management should allow it. The couple of dollars these professional health care workers get would mean a whole lot more to them than it does to their overseers (who have no trouble making ends meet). So which side is really the petty one here? If putting on scrubs is not part of the job then, do away with them and go into the O.R. in street clothes. Do firefighters have to clock out while they are donning their gear after receiving an alarm call? According to the “logic” of the many simpletons posting here they should.

41. Jen Kelly says:

I was in their boat once… i didn’t get paid for changing my scrubs in labor and delivery. No biggie. It comes with the territory.

They should be grateful they have a job! I’m unemployed these days… it’s no fun finding work out there- even in healthcare!

42. Fly Guy says:

It comes with the job.

I used to work as a pilot (lost that job when the airline ran into financial difficulties). We had to show up an hour before departure to check weather, inspect the mechanical condition of the airplane, learn about airport and airway notices, set up the navigation equipment, compute the weight and balance, and many other tasks.

Those were all work related, but pilots don’t get paid for any of them (they only get paid when the plane is moving). I had no complaints. It came with the job, and I loved it. It sure beats staring at a computer monitor all day, which is what I do now.

1. RNsrock says:

Fly Guy, So if you’d been injured or killed during the inspection, etc. workers compensation wouldn’t cover you because you were “off the clock”.. .just something to think about. It’s called labor law violation….union or not.

43. Joe says:

The hospital should charge a scrub rental and cleaning fee to offset the extra pay of nurses. Problem solved.

44. anonymouse says:

At least they have a scrub bank at their place of employment; most have to buy their own scrubs and wear them to and from work….and then take all the ‘bugs’ from the hospital outside into the community. How many times have you seen someone shopping in the grocery store wearing scrubs? Guess what – half of them are on their way home, and those scrubs have all the germs they picked up while on thier shift caring for patients with C-Diff, MRSA, VRE, ESBL, etc….. And washing them in the washing machine at home does not kill everything unless you have one with a high heat cycle
    It should be mandated that all patient care facilities provide scrubs that are not worn outside the facility. Forget getting paid for 15 minutes to change – not having to buy your own scrubs and then have to worry about what you are taking home to your family seems like a fair trade.

45. Kate says:

At least they are paid for time put in! Lots of people who work on salary aren’t paid for the “extra time” they put in. As a teacher I am in my classroom until 5 or 6 at night sometimes, and I never ask to get extra pay simply for getting my lessons ready for the upcoming week. It is just part of the job!

46. dk says:

Please tell me this a joke. How pathetic and embarrassing! I am amazed by how low people will stoop. You should be ashamed of yourself… AND stop being so damn lazy!

1. dk says:

AND seriously, if it takes you 30 minutes to change in and out of scrubs, there is something seriously wrong with you (and should probably not be a nurse in the first place).

47. Mike says:

I am a RN. I am required to wear a uniform that I must buy and launder myself. I do not get paid for the time I have to spend buying, washing or donning said uniform.

OR nurses do not have to buy or launder theirs and now they want to get paid to put it on? Plus, OR nurses get paid, on average, about 10% more than other specialties.

This is ridicuous. But I think I’ll transfer to the OR😉

48. Steve says:

Perhaps there is legal precedence over this case, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I believe in it. You are already being compensated by the wage that you receive as being adjusted as a result of the labor markets. Most occupations require people to be showered, and sometimes even shaved and/or hair combed. This is required and can lead to you being fired if you do not follow through with it. Are you compensated? Yes. Your hourly wage pays for your ability to buy soap, shampoo, pay the utility bill through an understanding you have with your employer that you are going to be prepared for work.

Perhaps my job causes me stress when I get home and I cannot get a project out of my head. That is taking up my time too, should I be further compensated? No, because that is part of the intrinsic compensation for my job. The road these nurses are going down will create a society in which lawyers will have to detail what every aspect of the paycheck will be used for. Well I need soap so that means I need to have $3 a week set aside in my paycheck, because I am required to be clean for work. Well I have to drive to work so I require $30 of my paycheck set aside for gas.

All of these things are intrinsic understandings as conditions that make you able to work effectively, and are already priced into your wages. Just because you want them to be itemized doesn’t mean that it is an enhancement that you are not being compensated for. Realistically you are on the clock the moment your alarm goes off in the morning and you have to get ready for work, just because you have to do preparation for work at work doesn’t mean there is need for extra compensation. You are paid for the extra 30 minutes you spend putting your scrubs on by the negotiated hourly wage you receive.

What is realistically going to happen is that the nurses will probably win the suit, because legally speaking it is part of the job at the job and within the contract, so they will win the compensation. What will happen though is the extra money will shift from some other value creation aspect of the hospital, either through benefits, new employee hires, or the hospitals ability to properly cater to patients. Hospitals run on incredibly tight margins as a result of the inability of such a high percentage of patients to be able to properly pay their bills, the costs of following legal regulations and maintain proper licenses, as well as the cost of lawsuits from which medical malpractice is the leading tort claim in civil courts. And don’t forget the insurance that hospitals need to carry.

So basically the nurses are essentially giving away value in this lawsuit, and giving it away to the lawyers that are handling this case. It’s not as though some new value is being magically created with the pay. This will indeed lead to other costs being cut as a result, and very likely the costs will come out of the employees in some way, shape or form. So you are shifting money in one form to another, very likely something that makes your job easier will pay for your added wage, and you’ve both created estrangement with your management and money from both your labor union and the hospital being flushed down the legal toilet. This is value destruction, Cheers. By the way, tons of sarcasm in here, and I really don’t expect many people to understand the true meaning of the term “value”, or the concept of suing over something that will not create value in either outcome. You do not need to argue with me, I know you’re wrong.

The nurses here are acting very short-sided, which is how many Americans think. Sure if the world is going to end tomorrow or you’re going to quit your job you have that extra pay to take with you. If you were looking to work at that hospital until your retirement you’ve just taken money out of your pocket and burned it, while slapping your boss in the face and smiling about it. I’m sure you will now be working in a less friendly environment for a while and will have to work harder because that new ERP system just got downgraded.

If you really want to get higher pay you should have your union leaders go to colleges and convince students not to enter the nursing industry. Considering most college programs are backed up by the sheer amount of nursing students means that nurses are becoming a dime a dozen. This is going to decrease the value of your work within the next 5-10 years as a result of the expansions in nursing programs that will pump more and more nurses into the field. This is why software engineers had much better compensation in the 90s than they did in the 2000s. Typically, jobs that are not attractive are the ones that pay the best. Take crab fishing in Alaska for example, huge returns relative to time as a result of the incredible difficulty both in entering the field and being able to perform the functions as needed make it incredibly difficult to find, develop, and maintain a solid labor force. So 3 weeks of work yields $20,000.

The other way in which to create added value in your paycheck would be to work with your management to increase the quality with which your perform your job. If you create a workforce that is both highly efficient compared to other hospitals, while being difficult to replicate with other nurses from other places, you will be able to negotiate much higher pay packages as a result of value creation and difficulty with replicating it. Management would prefer that new processes are streamlined so that the cost with training new employees is lower, thus the value of labor is lessened, but much as masons did for centuries, if you don’t make it easy for new nurses to enter through the difficulty of the processes then you will individually be much more valuable to the hospital.

Cheers to Economics 101.

49. Mark Baker says:

I’m in a situation where I have to wear slightly dressy clothes for work. Putting on nice shoes take a little longer than just throwing on tennis shoes. Putting a nice belt on takes longer than just putting on the pants. Ironing my shirt takes time. Why don’t I get paid for all this time I spend getting ready for my shift? What a frivolous lawsuit.

50. Melissa Woolley says:

I was a cop in the military. We showed up 45 minutes early to get our weapon and stand for guardmount (a basic rundown of your duties for the day and what is going on we needed to be aware of). At the end of our shift we went back and waited to unload our weapons and turn them in. There is no overtime in the military. I made $10800 a year and worked 45 hrs a week (that includes holidays that we don’t get paid extra for). While deployed to the middle east we worked 5 twelve hr shifts (not including the 45 minutes being there early or disarming) then got 1 day off, guess what? still made $10800 a year. Quit the damn whining and crying!

51. SO AWARE says:

OMG!..READING IGNORANT PEOPLE’S COMMENTS ON THIS ARTICLE MADE ME LAUGH..IGNORANCE IS INDEED A DISEASE!..GO AHEAD LADIES, AS MENTIONED BY D. BENNETT “This should not have to be a law suit. Look up IBP v. alvarez and the Barber food Surpreme Court desisions. They state if you must prepare for work with special preperation, that must be done onsite, it is time on the clock. The courts have already decided in the nurses favor…” ALSO, THESE NURSE ARE DOING THE PUBLIC A FAVOR BY COMPLYING WITH D RULES, DO U KNO HOW MANY LIVES WILL BE LOST IF DEY CHOOSE NOT TO COMPLY? THE SURGICAL ENVIRONMENT NEEDS TO BE STERILE HENCE D ENFORCEMENT OF D CODES OF DRESSING..FOR THOSE SAYING THESE NURSES ARE NOT WORKING BUT SIMPLY DRESSING N UNDRESSING…PLS! ONCE AGAIN, STOP WITH THE IGNORANCE….IF U THINK THEIR LAWSUIT IS FRIVOLOUS THEN PERHAPS Y’ALL SHLDN’T BE PAID FOR DOING UR JOBS!..SMH N ROLLING MY EYES!..AND 4 THOSE OF U WHINING ABT NOT GETTING PAID 2 GET DRESSED UP FOR WORK..REALLY? WHY? U THINK THESE NURSES LEAVE HOME NAKED FOR WORK RIGHT?…I CAN GO ON N ON…NURSES DO SO MUCH DAT WE CAN NEVER BE PAID FOR MOST OF WHAT WE DO!..SO FIGHTING FOR ENTITLEMENTS LIKE THESE ARE NOTHING DAT REQUIRE A DEBATE FROM PPL WHO HAVE NO CLUE WAT DEY R TALKING ABT…THE WORD IS EMPATHY!..UNTIL U’VE BEEN DER, N DONE DAT, DON’T JUDGE!