Light Rail Shut Down After Car Accident

DENVER (CBS4)- Police in Denver are investigating an accident involving two vehicles. It happened at about 4 p.m. Friday near the intersection of 29th and Welton.

Light rail has been closed in that area, including from 29th to Welton and 30th to Downing. The vehicle did not hit any light rail train cars, but the accident happened very close to the tracks and one car was pushed onto the tracks.

Police spokesman Matt Murray said two ambulances rushed those injured to area hospitals. He is not sure how many people were involved or how many were injured.

Comments

1. cris says:

thats not what happened the drunk driver hit a total of 5 cars hitting the van in back doing 90 miles in hour down welton while van and truck was at a stop the only car that was on trackes was the green pontaic car shutting the rail down for 2 hours while investgation was under way they pulled a bottle of liquare out of the vechel have picture too proof it

1. ZD says:

I’m the guy that was driving the van.I still don’t know who hit me. It’s all been a secret

2. Diane santorico says:

I can’t believe the lack of coverage on this story not to mention the inaccuracies. There was only one driver and he hit several cars going 90 down welton when he slammed into the back of a van and spun out in top of the tracks. They had to cut him out of the car. There was blood seen all over the deployed airbags. At 5 pm police on the scene reported that the driver was highly intoxicated and was currently in surgery but not expected to survive. Why isn’t this being covered? Why isnt the name of this jerk being reported? Why isn’t this making more press?is it the fact that it happened in 5 Points? Interesting how the Brinco player who dinged a parked car makes headlines and someone who could have killed or injured the residents in MY community gets no coverage!?!?

1. CJ says:

Thank you to all who witnessed this lunatic driver… my husband was the one who was rear-ended at the red light, in the white van, which, by the way, was totaled out. Yes, we are super grateful that my husband is still alive, and was driving a bigger vehicle, however, he is unable to work due to the brain injury he suffered as a result of this accident. Now, aside from the lost wages, no vehicle, and physical injures, the police will NOT give us or anyone else, the other guy’s personal information, including whether or not he has insurance. Even the Police report has his name blacked out… Where is the justice? My husband, and I, need to move forward here. Not knowing anything makes me think that this guy could be someone fairly “important” within the city and/or county of Denver. Has anyone ever heard of “Victim’s Rights”??? We’re grateful, but extremely frustrated at present – let’s hope the cops don’t “lose” and of the important information that will assist us in moving forward. AHHHHH!!! If there are any witnesses, please email me or ZD, above. Thanks again…

3. Imani says:

I saw this same car hit a parked car on welton between 26th and 27th in front of the cervantes. The parked car was a silver Honda. I watched it happen in my rear view mirror while I sat at the light at 27th and welton. The car was coming straight at me, not slowing so I swerved to the curb to get out of his way. I got out of the car because I was so shaken up. By the time I got back in the car and continued up welton, that same car was demolished and laying on the light rail track.

1. Gerald Borden says:

Imani, I’m very glad you’re ok. That had to be scary. You’re blessed to have been spared.

2. Carol Walsh says: