Dougherty Siblings Captured In Colorado

WALSENBURG (CBS4) – The FBI has confirmed three suspects believed to be the Dougherty siblings have been captured near Walsenburg.

It appears they were captured after a car chase ended a mile north of Walsenburg. Two were quickly arrested and the third was arrested on foot. Southbound Interstate 25 was closed during the investigation. It reopened just before 8 p.m. Until then, traffic was rerouted through Walsenburg.

Colorado State Patrol says the three suspects were checked for injuries, but are now being held at Pueblo County Jail.

dougherty map Dougherty Siblings Captured In Colorado

(credit: CBS)

Ryan Edward Dougherty, 21; Dylan Dougherty Stanley, 26; and Lee Grace Dougherty, 29 were possibly spotted Tuesday in a small white vehicle with the stolen Texas license plate LCS 909 in Colorado Springs near I-25 and Woodmen Road attempting to buy camping equipment.

dougherty gang crime scene Dougherty Siblings Captured In Colorado

An image from the scene (credit: KKTV)

On Wednesday there were unconfirmed reports they may have been spotted trying to buy ammunition in Canon City. Police were pulling surveillance video to try to confirm that report.

The Doughertys had been the subject of a nationwide search for a week. The trio is accused of shooting at a police officer in Florida during a high-speed chase. Police said a couple hours later three people wearing masks robbed a bank in Valdosta, Ga. According to police one of the suspects used an AK-47 assault rifle. Another was believed to be using a “machine” pistol.

Watch a full report from Rick Sallinger and also listen to eyewitness accounts to the capture in the video below:

Watch a report from Jennifer Brice on the reaction from Florida on the capture of the Dougherty gang in video below:

On Wednesday morning, Colorado state troopers got a tip from somebody who saw the trio with a white Subaru with Texas plates at a campground near Colorado City.

“A Pueblo County sheriff’s deputy spotted the vehicle at a gas station near exit 74 on I-25. The Colorado State Patrol attempted to initiate a traffic stop at this location. The suspect vehicle failed to yield to law enforcement and a pursuit ensued,” CSP said in a prepared statement.

CSP spokesperson Heather Cobbler told CBS4 shots were fired at law enforcement during the pursuit.

The chase ended with the suspects’ car rolling over after officers deployed “stop sticks” on southbound I-25 at mile marker 52 near Walsenburg.

61 Dougherty Siblings Captured In Colorado

An image of the suspects' car after the crash (credit:CBS)

Cobbler said at least one of the siblings was hit by gunfire, but was suffering from a non life-threatening injury. She couldn’t confirm any other injuries to the suspects.

No police officers were injured in the incident.

“We continuously said that if these three fugitives wanted a battle with law enforcement, we would win that battle. And that’s what happened today,” said Pasco County, Fla., Sheriff Chris Nocco said at a news conference after the capture.

Watch the entire news conference on the capture in the video below:

The Associated Press contacted the siblings’ mother, Barbara Bell of East Palatka, Fla. She had no comment.

The three siblings had been living together in Lacoochee, Fla. They all have criminal records. Ryan Dougherty ditched an ankle monitor he had been wearing for sending a sexually explicit text to an 11-year-old girl. Lee Dougherty had been charged with battery and had a hit-and-run charge pending. Stanley was charged with possession of marijuana.

It was confirmed by police in Florida that Ryan Dougherty bought an AK-47 assault rifle two years ago at a pawn shop. It’s the same style as the gun used in the George bank robbery.

1. denvervet says:

Why didn’t you post their pictures? What’s up with that?

2. Kevin - Colo Spngs says:

Colorado + 1 …. Fleeing suspects – 0. should have stayed in Florida, Big Brother breathes mountain air

1. NoNegativeZero says:

There is no such thing as a “-0”

1. Apothem says:

I’m guessing that’s a hyphen, not a negative sign.

2. chris says:

This entire thread has some of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read. What is wrong with you people? Are you all trying to be stupid on purpose? Wow….

3. Jackson says:

You’re a dummy.

3. nathan j says:

I hope they are not tried here in Florida. They may get the Casey Anthony jurors and be acquitted.

1. flashman1854 says:

Casey was tried on Florida state law violations (murder). This bunch are accused of Federal crimes, different jurisdiction (federal vs state).

FYI, bank robbing is a Federal crime (plus, they fled over state lines, and committed further crimes in other states.)

So, they may be tried in FL for shooting at a police officer, fleeing, etc. but probably AFTER the federal charges are tried.

In any case, they are toast.

1. Jim Harrington Sr says:

Same jury / gene pool. FLA is getting to be as bizarre as L.A.

2. Bill says:

WAIT! Crossing the border without permission is also a federal crime. If they are prosecuted in the same manner, they’ll have a job, social security card, medicaid and be enrolled in college within three months… There is no federal consistency so their is no law.

4. Bill says:

Nice, I was at that REI yesterday. It’s the only one in the Springs.

1. Ray Gaithen says:

Why are you talking code? I have no idea what you are trying to say?

1. Ian says:

REI…. the camping/outdoor store. No code, just a little advanced knowledge of the world.

5. June Kennedy says:

You need a good editor!

6. Mr. Picky Pants says:

Wow, news agencies are not editing their stories for accuracy and content anymore. Very sad. “attempting to by camping equipment.” What does that mean? They are missing a word! And in their hesitation to get the story out they leave the ending with the description and cautionary info. The chase is over, edit your story. I am no English Major, but I should be able to read through a story and it make sense.

1. Wes says:

attempting to BUY camping equipment.

2. flashman1854 says:

Mr. Picky Pants,

Before you throw grammatical stones you should edit your own copy.

You began a sentence with a quote (which is poor writing, especially since the quote is not begun with a capitol letter), plus you state “They are missing a word”, when in fact “they” were missing a letter, not a word (the letter “u” in the word “buy”).

You don’t understand what the word “hesitation” means either. You write “in their hesitation to get the story out…” Do you mean the editors of said story hesitated before they published the story? In which case they may well have had time to correct their mistakes.

Also, you end by stating “I am no English Major, but I should be able to read through a story and it make sense”. (You left out the word “have”, as in “have it make sense”.

Clean up your act, THEN complain about others’ editing woes.

7. Marc B says:

Why didn’t you post their pictures? What’s up with that?

They are white suspects, so I am a bit surprised myself. Feel for the parents, but I wonder what kind of home they came from to end up like this.

1. Wes says:

… You’re surprised that they’re white?

1. Gregg Velosi says:

No, he’s surprised thier faces werent plastered all over the story, since they are white. Thats the typical way The Media™ likes to play (just in case you hadn’t noticed intentionally)

8. stace says:

that stinks, I was hoping they would have gone horizontal, disappointing end.

9. Hank Warren says:

Cops actually caught someone? Now they can go back to writing speeding tix. Useless cops (who only search for criminals who shoot at them), yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. Gregg Velosi says:

A society of sheep breeds a gov’t of wolves. Your fellow citizens are more interested in keeping thier Facebook updated, they don’t care about any rights being violated &/or lost daily, as long as they are still recieving tweets. The video will go viral when you (& I) are lynched. Welcome to Hope & Change.

10. EverydayGuy says:

Journalism does not attract smart people.

1. YES WE CON! YES WE CON! says:

2. Jim says:

Smart people are also capable comprehending the storyline by of overlooking simple typos. Jared Lee Laughner was also obsesses with spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It is a mental disease.

3. thin about it says:

I must be missing something or you guys are wacked. I only see them buying camping equip and ammo. In both sentences “buy” is spelled correctly.

11. HopeyChangey says:

Since you can’t spell “accuracy” your services will not be required.

12. Master Jon says:

I doubt they had NFA weapons. Auotmatic? Really? Are you stupid, or did you lie?

13. M M says:

Excellent catch, but this Iowan wordsmith did as well. Sometime in the near future (not yet) consider googling “A Play On Words” for a small no-nasties and no-catches website that I have over forty sentences with proper usages of often-misspelled words from all over the place. My college newspaper didn’t entertain the idea of publishing it, so I will soon do this myself. I won’t spam the forum with the website, so the search engine will have to be used. It should be up next month.

14. Hello! says:

Sorry they didn’t put up a fight. Body bags are cheaper than extradition, three trials and a lifetime of 3 hots and a cot.

1. 1776 says:

Well said. Old school “frontier justice” works well…too bad it’s rarely applied anymore.

15. jthe judge j says:

I can see the guy made a mistake with his story. But give him a break I am sure none of you have ever made a mistake before. Do not throw stones unless your perfect.

1. Retired SOF guy says:

That should read “you’re perfect” which is a contraction, not “your perfect” which is a possessive pronoun. And the point is that “journalism” is a farce in this country. Aside from typos, mis-reporting about the weapons (there were absolutely NO AK-47s involved in this) costs credibility. Not that anyone in the legacy monopoly media really has any with thinking adults.

2. Martin says:

Listen, Purveyor of Mediocrity, All it would take is one re-read by the author to catch the error.
      This writer shouldn’t even be working for a news organization.

16. DB Cooper says:

This trio was NOT carrying automatic weapons. Try “semi-automatic”!

17. Martin says:

Probably farmed out to interns in Bangelore, as is very often the case.
    Unreal !!

18. Chris Dees says:

If you are a criminal, stupid and violent is no way to go through life. It guarantees a very short career. Enjoy your future home at a Supermax prison you three…

19. James says:

The one on the left is very cute. They’ll love his little cushion in the Joint.

1. 1776 says:

No doubt those 2 fellers will end up some as “punks”…even if they seek shelter from the AB/Brand.

20. Smoking Joe says:

Next thing you know the democrats will be blaming the Tea Party for their actions.

21. RockMarne says:

Good job, cops. Now the FBI can go back to looking for DB Cooper.

22. Democrat says:

Of course they belong to the Tea Party. That’s where the fully automatic guns came from. There will be a movie about all this on channel 5 tonight.

1. Ala says:

The guns are “semi-automatic”. Big difference. The press always gets this wrong because they are lib idiots who don’t know the difference. You must be one of them.

23. rhonda says:

good punks are caught… lock these punks up

24. Jason Jasper says:

Apparently they know how to catchum in Colorado.

Always split up – ALWAYS.
    Shoulda ditched the car and then bought a new one for cash.

25. James says:

Were always on the prowl for new “punk” rump in the joint.

Welcome Home Boys !

26. Pharmg553 says:

Hello! dbcedee interesting dbcedee site! I’m really like it! Very, very dbcedee good!

27. Pharma334 says:

Hello! efbdfcd interesting efbdfcd site! I’m really like it! Very, very efbdfcd good!

28. jack nichols says:

Just like the days of Bonny and Clyde and John Dillinger. Everybody hates the banks, We are living in a depression, crime is skyrocketing, the bumbling FBI is involved. The people find the criminals romatic as the comments show. Welcome to the neo-1930’s compliments of the fed and the banksters.

29. jeff b says:

Arrested after a shootout….It sounds like they should be in body bags.

30. jeff says:

They had a “machine pistol”

Semi automatic i would believe. The media has to sensationalize everything.

31. Jlr says:

Parents must be so proud – what losers!

32. Mimi says:

Morning All. This is for the 3 Siblings the 2 where abuse I can see it in there eyes &the younger one was not quite there yett anyway man oh man I think you better talk too there Mother very close. It’s very sad too see shuch young ones go third bad abuse. Mimi

33. Mimi says:

Morning. I watch alot of CSIs too know what I am thinking the 2 look terribly disturbed I read faces. I know my Cats face by looking at her. Mimi

34. are student loans a mistake today says:

It’s hard to come by experienced people about this subject, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

35. auto stereo says:

When I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I recieve four emails with the same comment. Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service? Thanks!

36. guaranteed used car loans says:

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not fail me as much as this particular one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, however I really believed you would probably have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you could fix if you weren’t too busy looking for attention.