DENVER (CBS4) – A Denver chiropractor has reached a financial settlement with two contractors he blames for the electrocution of his dog.

Scott Evans said the agreement sends two strong messages. One is about the value of pets, and the other is about the importance of safety.

“She was very much a part of my family, a part of my life,” Evans said of his dog, Asha.

The Weimaraner helped fill the void after Evans’ sister died. But Asha died suddenly at 3 years old.

“It was definitely horrifying,” he said.

On Oct. 28, 2009, Evans and Asha were heading home from a nearby Starbucks. They cut through the parking lot behind his chiropractic office in the Highlands.

“As soon as we got to this area here she kind of yelped and screamed.”

When Evans tried to help he felt a powerful zap. Asha was being shocked with approximately 277 volts of electricity.

Evans and his attorney believe Asha was electrocuted because contractors who built the parking lot improperly installed a metal rod. They believe the rebar hit an underground power line, electrifying the surface.

Evans sued the contractors and have now settled for an undisclosed sum of money.

“It far exceeds replacement value of an animal,” Jennifer Edwards with the Animal Law Center said.

“The message is that animals are more than just what somebody pays for them,” Evans said. “A dog isn’t just like a piece of property or a chair.”

“We believe that we’ve sent a message to these contractors that they do need to be more careful,” Edwards said.

Evans told CBS4 he thinks he’s satisfied with the settlement. He said he will scatter Asha’s ashes in the mountains.

The two contractors that settled with Evans are Sabell’s Enterprises and Palace Construction. Neither returned calls from CBS4.

Comments (5)
  1. PH says:

    So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. I mourn as well. God bless you.

  2. Deacon says:

    Those contractors should get a taste of that electricity, let them know what Asha endured because of their incompetence.

  3. Lance says:

    “Evans told CBS4 he thinks he’s satisfied with the settlement.”

    Thinks? Sheesh…

  4. Amber says:

    R.I.P. sweet Asha! This never should have happened to you.

  5. Me! says:

    My heart goes out to this man. I have 2 Weimaraners and they are great dogs. If anything like that happeed to them, I would be devastated! This story brings tears to my eyes. I’m glad he made his point about the value of an animal. I’m not sure what Jennifer Edwards’ statement is supposed to mean, “It far exceeds replacement value of an animal.” She must not have a dog because there is no amount of money that can replace your dog.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s