Ryan Harris Unsure If He’ll Remain A Bronco
Broncos CentralBuy Broncos Tickets
DENVER (CBS4) – On Monday NFL players agreed to okay a final deal after the owners approved a tentative agreement several days ago. That means it’s almost certain football will be back this year. But Denver Broncos offensive tackle Ryan Harris isn’t sure if he’ll be on the team.
Harris stopped by CBS4 studios to talk about the lockout and his situation on Southwest Airlines All Access. He said he’s been ready for the lockout to end for the last few months.
“I know a lot of guys have (been ready) both on the Broncos and here in Denver working out from other teams,” Harris said.
Harris had been working out with other Broncos players during the lockout. Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton, among many other players, have also all been seen working out during the lockout. They had been doing everything they could to be ready for when the lockout ended.
“We don’t want to be at a point as players where we put a poor product on the field because of the litigation and the contract talks with the (Collective Bargaining Agreement),” Harris said. “We’re working hard to stay in shape and to make sure our fans get an improved game as they have each year previously.”
CBS4’s Gary Miller asked Harris if he felt fresher because there were no organized team activities, minicamps or passing camps this year because of the lockout.
“We’re definitely fresh in mind, that’s one thing. Some of the extended OTAs do get a little redundant at times. We do miss that component of team camaraderie, whether it be on the Broncos or other teams around the league. You do want to be around the guys you are going to go into the games with on Sunday.”
Harris is an unrestricted free agent and the Broncos drafted offensive tackle Orlando Franklin out of the University of Miami. Many believe there are chances that Harris will wind up with another team.
“I’ve enjoyed my time here in Denver and it’s something that’s really out of my control. Being an unrestricted free agent, the Broncos do have an opportunity to re-sign me, as other teams will,” Harris said. “At the end of the day I just have to weigh my options as a player and see what the best fit is for me.
“One thing that doesn’t change is that I’ve had a great time here in Denver, I’ll always have a home here in Denver, and I’ve been very lucky to be here for the last four years.”
When Harris was drafted the Broncos were using a zone blocking scheme, which worked out great for him. Then the Broncos started moving towards power blocking. Miller asked Harris if that wasn’t such a great fit for him.
“I’d tell you I’m a good fit for any offense and I’ve proven that, I’d say, in the last four years of being in both a zone blocking scheme and in the power scheme. And the truth is, teams run both … and I’m capable of doing that and I can’t wait to get out there for whichever team it is and show my stuff again.”
Technically there was supposed to be no contact between teams and players during the lockout. Harris said he and his agent had abided by the rules.
“There has been no contact between me and my agent and another team at any point.”