LONGMONT, Colo. (CBS4) – A Longmont woman says a popular chain restaurant served drinks with tequila in them to her young children.
Pam Bruenning told CBS4 the incident happened on the 4th of July at the Chili’s on Hover Road.
Bruenning says she ordered three fruit smoothies and they came out in children’s cups. But what was inside turned out to be alcoholic strawberry margaritas.
A police report says there was miscommunication between the server and bartender, who thought the kid cups were for some adults who wanted to split the drink. The report says Bruenning had ordered virgin strawberry daiquiris.
Bruenning said her 8-year-old daughter took some sips of the drink and began to feel sick.
“Just drink some more of your smoothie,” she says she then told her. “And she said ‘I can’t drink any more. It tastes really bad.’”
Bruenning then took a sip of one of the drinks and instantly knew something wasn’t right.
“I could just tell. It would have made me intoxicated.”
The restaurant manager was extremely apologetic and offered the family gift cards and free food. Paramedics also checked out the kids and they seemed to be okay.
Bruenning says Chili’s needs to do a better job of training its employees.
“I don’t know how that mistake actually got made, it just seems to me really negligent,” she said.
Longmont police ruled the case was an honest mistake. The case has been turned over to the Longmont city prosecutor to see if any criminal charges could be filed.
Chili’s released a statement to CBS4 saying it takes this case seriously and is conducting its own investigation and “if warranted disciplinary action, which can include termination” will be taken.
Bruenning’s two other children are a 6-year-old and a 1-year-old.