Local

Children Admit Their Fireworks Caused House Fire

View Comments
Firefighters outside the scene of the fire on July 4 (credit: Ashley Koch)

Firefighters outside the scene of the fire on July 4 (credit: Ashley Koch)

GREELEY, Colo. (CBS4) – Two children admitted they were playing with fireworks and started an apartment fire Monday afternoon that displaced several families.

The fire happened in the 1700 block of 7th Avenue. Greeley fire officials said the children were playing with “spinner” fireworks, which shoot out sparks and jump around in different directions. Those types of fireworks are legal within the city.

The fireworks ignited a shrub, which then spread to the building.

greeley fireworks house 2 dale lyman gfd Children Admit Their Fireworks Caused House Fire

An image of the fire (credit: Dale Lyman/Greeley Fire Department)

Firefighters were able to put it out quickly, but the building was heavily damaged. Gas and power to the building had to be turned off and the building was condemned.

Although they were helpful with investigators, the children, who were between 12 and 13 years old, could be in hot water for setting off fireworks that are illegal in Colorado.

Watch CBS4 reporter Michelle Griego’s report in the video clip below:

No one was home when the fire started. Three dogs were rescued.

Greeley firefighters responded to more than three different fires on Monday. Other fires that may have been started by fireworks were also reported in Littleton, Denver and Centennial.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,538 other followers