Police Warn Denver Neighborhood To Be On Alert After String Of Robberies
DENVER (CBS4)- Police in Denver are warning residents in one neighborhood to be on alert after a string of robberies and assaults. The crimes have happened over the past two and a half months.
There have been several robberies and assaults between April 14 and June 20 in the area of Park Avenue West and Lawrence Street. An additional robbery occurred at 17th and Champa Streets with similar circumstances.
All of the victims were white men and the majority of them were transients.
The robberies are happening between 8 p.m. and 3 a.m. The suspects are described as black men, in most cases acting alone, and in three cases, there were two or more suspects involved.
Anyone who has witnessed an assault is urged to call 911 immediately. If you have information regarding the crimes that have already occurred, please call the Denver Police at 720-913-2000 or Crime Stoppers at 720-913-STOP (7867).
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk only on busy, well-lighted streets, even if it makes the trip a little longer.
- Avoid short cuts such as parking lots, alleys, or parks.
- If you feel you are being followed, cross the street or go the other way. Walk toward lights and people.
- If a vehicle is following you, turn and run in the opposite direction. The driver will have to turn around before he can continue following you.