LAKEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) – The heat is on this weekend as law enforcement across Colorado are tracking down drunk drivers.
Over the course of three hours at a DUI checkpoint in Lakewood Saturday night police arrested six drivers suspected of drinking and driving. They were stationed at 10th and Wadsworth where a teenager was killed last year because of a drunk driver.
“The purpose is obviously to take intoxicated drivers off the street,” an officer said. “But also, public awareness, so if somebody gets behind the wheel and they’ve been drinking, they’ll think twice before they drive.”
Similar checkpoints will be in place across Colorado through Tuesday morning.
The Memorial Day weekend kicks off a summer-long campaign to keep drunk drivers off the roads.
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
While police officers work hard to turn cars into the cure and eliminate drunk driving forever, families must continue to be vigilant on our roadways. Help protect your family from drunk drivers by looking for these signs of intoxication among other motorists:
1. Quick acceleration or deceleration
3. Weaving or zigzagging across the road
4. Driving anywhere other than on a road designated for vehicles
5. Almost striking an object, curb, or vehicle
6. Stopping without cause or erratic braking
7. Drifting in and out of traffic lanes
8. Signaling that is inconsistent with driving actions
9. Slow response to traffic signals (e.g. sudden stop or delayed start)
10. Straddling the center lane marker
11. Driving with headlights off at night
13. Driving slower than 10 mph below the speed limit
14. Turning abruptly or illegally
15. Driving into opposing traffic on the wrong side of the road