DENVER (CBS4)- Half of all women in America suffer bone loss or osteoporosis. Free bone screenings are under way across Colorado during the month of May.
The free bone density testing at area Whole Foods Markets is part of Rainbow Light’s “Mobile Bone IQ Tour.” The noninvasive test utilizes portable GE Achilles Bone Scanners, which use your foot to measure bone density.
The entire test takes one minute. Bone density results are printed out (T-score) along with comparative results with age and gender groups (Z-score) that can be shared with a personal physician.
“What the bone density scores are going to help predict is how healthy your bones may be at the current level and how your doctor or your healthcare practitioner can continue to monitor your bones and what type of lifestyle changes, dietary changes or potentially medications might need to be given in order to preserve your bone density,” said Registered Dietician Marci Clow.
The scanner measures bone mass with real-time ultrasound imaging of the heel bone.
The following are the upcoming screening locations:
- 5/12/11 11:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Whole Foods, 2375 E. 1st Ave., Denver, CO 80206 (720) 941-4100
- 5/13/11 11:30-6:30 Whole Foods 2905 Pearl St. Boulder CO 80301 (303) 545-6611
- 5/14/11 11:30-6:30 Whole Foods 6853 S. York St. Suite 119 Centennial CO 80122 (303) 996-3660
- 5/18/11 11:30-6:30 Whole Foods 300 Marshall Road Superior CO 80027 (720) 274-1415
- 5/19/11 11:30-6:30 Whole Foods 9366 S. Colorado Highlands Ranch CO 80126 (303) 470-6003
- 5/20/11 11:30-6:30 Whole Foods 444 Wadsworth Blvd. Lakewood CO 80226 (303) 935-5000
- 5/21/11 11:30-6:30 Alfalfa’s 1651 Broadway Boulder CO 80302
For testing locations and times go to: www.boneiq.com.