CBS4 Investigates Problems With State Unemployment System

Unemployment System 'Overwhelmed' -- Feds Say Colorado Below 'Acceptable Levels Of Performance'

Written by Brian Maass
DENVER (CBS4)- Colorado’s unemployment benefits system is “overwhelmed” according to its new director, with some claimants waiting on hold for as long as 3 hours to get questions answered.

“It’s unacceptable and we take it very seriously,” said Ellen Golombek, executive director of Colorado’s Department of Labor and Employment.

Golombek took over at Labor and Employment in January. She said the average wait time for claimants calling in for information on their unemployment claim now stands at 1 hour and 29 minutes. She thinks it should be 15 minutes or less.

“It’s overwhelming. The system is overwhelmed,” Golombek said several times during the on camera interview. “The problem persists because we are in a recession, people are laid off and are losing their jobs,” she said.

Golombek said there are now 137,000 Coloradans with active unemployment claims, compared to 2008 when about 30,000 were on unemployment. Callers now are so frayed and on edge, operators at the Labor Department undergo training to handle suicidal callers. Golombek acknowledged that 15 employees just went through “specialized training” to handle despondent claimants.

CBS4 also found that Colorado is consistently finishing below federal minimum standards for benefits accuracy, quality and timeliness. The U.S. Department of Labor publishes quarterly audits of every state’s unemployment program.

Each state is measured in nine different categories or “Core Measures.” Colorado has been performing poorly for the last four years Golombek acknowledged.

“It is troubling and failure is not acceptable,” said Golombek.

For instance, in the 4th quarter of 2010, Colorado fell below minimum federal standards in five out of nine core measures. For “separation determination quality,” an acceptable score is 75 or above. Colorado received a score of 30, besting only North Carolina and the Virgin Islands. The category measures how the state labor department did on an initial eligibility decision- did the state gather all necessary documents, were the claimant and the employer contacted?

In another category, “non-separation determination quality,” the federal minimum standard is a 75. Colorado received a score of 51, the fifth worst in the country. This category measures how the Colorado Division of Labor and Employment did gathering information and following due process on items that affect weekly eligibility.

“We’ve started looking at these scores in the last four weeks and what we need to do to make them more acceptable,” said Golombek. “Where we are today is not acceptable and our goal is to move into the acceptable range.”

She says CDLE is hamstrung by Colorado’s complex unemployment laws, which she says are far more daunting than other states. On top of that, Golombek said the low scores can also be attributed to a department working with outdated technology, high staff turnover and staff allocation.

Golombek said ‘we are looking at systems, processes and technology’ to improve the federal scores.

By email, Cher Haavind with the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment, said, “The UI program takes seriously the quarterly self audit results and has taken several steps on the heels of the last completed audit to address the scores:

• We are hoping to reallocate staff and are more closely aligning staff roles and responsibilities with performance standards.
  • In January we implemented new performance measures and are using ongoing training of staff to improve processes.
  • In June, the UI program will add TALX to the Statewide Information Data Exchange. TALX and ADP (already in the data exchange) represent approximately 30 percent of the employers on unemployment insurance issues. Adding TALX will allow the program to more quickly and effectively gather information from employers and will benefit the separation determination process and positively impact the quality of the determination.

Additional Resources:
To view quarterly rankings of Colorado and other state’s performance on ‘core measures’ set up by the U.S. Department of Labor, go to this link, click on ‘all measures’, and enter a quarter you would like to view:

ows.doleta.gov/unemploy/ranking

The Colorado Department of Labor and Employment provided the following tips to avoid long telephone wait times:

Tips to Avoiding Long Wait Times

• Use the Internet application for filing both, new claims and bi-weekly filings.
  • Call later in the week versus a Monday or Tuesday
  • If wanting to verify that CAP Card was mailed, wait 24 hours after filing, then go into the CUB System, under option 3 and check for the date of last warrant mailed.
  • Search the CDLE web site colorado.gov/cdle, claimant handbook and claim materials for answers prior to calling a representative.
  • Be pro-active in regard to getting the first CAP Card on a new claim. 1) Registered with a local workforce office 2) complete and return all required forms right away 3) complete bi-weekly filings on a regular schedule and verify that they took in the system. It takes about 3 to 5 weeks to get most claims processed. If last employer paid “other pay” it could postpone benefits.
  • And, last but not least, return any calls from the agents as soon as possible.
More from Investigates
Comments

1. grr says:

what 3 hr wait ?? who wrote this story?? its a 3 hour wait for those that can get through the phone line to even be put on hold , all other are told to call back….

1. Mary says:

Grr, you took my comment!!. Tried to send a letter. Tried to go there in person. Tried calling the director’s office. Last time I called, about 4:25 on a Friday, I did get through — only to be told I needed to reach a different department and I could not be either helped or transferred, but would have to call back. I asked which prompt got me to the correct department, explained that I selected the correct prompt and would she please try to help. That was three weeks ago, and I haven’t had the fortitude to call back since. I could go on and on. . .

2. Mark says:

You are absolutely right!!!!! I stayed on the phone on the 12/23 for 3 hrs and 11 mins and then they dropped the call!! I have tried since 7:30 am today 12/27 and only the self-serving line is available. All you hear are excuses from the State about complex rules, turnover, outdated technology….at the end it is just incompetence. The sad part is that we can not vote them out of office.

3. Craig Buckley says:

Golombek needs to be fired. Check this evidence out, as well as the rest of the postings at scribd.com under dreamstonevictim.

2. Stacy says:

I tried to call on several occasions only to be told all agents were busy. Finaly I tried at 7:28AM and the recording said they were not open yet. I redailed and got a busy signal. Redailed for a second time and was put on hold for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I don’t understand how I could be on hold for over an hour at 7:30AM.

3. Mike hillyard says:

I waited until the battery went out on one phone. SO WHAT! If you are in demand, you wait or go somewhere else. Basic economics. Do not hire more emplyees to give money to people unseen or proof of ligidimate claim!

4. Robert says:

Wow! The CLDE has had the same problems year after year after year and they keep saying they will take care of the problems while things grow worse. Unemployment in Colorado continues to grow and the CDLE is actively working to deny as many valid claims as possible. When will the CDLE ever address their multitude of failures? Never!

5. James says:

Unemployed people committing suicide because the CDLE treats them as garbage. Good job CDLE!

6. Jennifer says:

When will the state begin firing CDLE employees. Where else but in government can you keep your job when you are incompetent year after year. Perhaps they should let the unemployed operate the CDLE?

1. Mark says:

Fire a State employee? Never. Only if they get arrested and it makes the papers

7. Jennifer says:

WOOO HOOOO! We beat out the Virgin Islands! Way to go CDLE!

8. Linda says:

Two years ago, I lost my job thru no fault of my own. I went thru the frustration with the calls (my cell phone drops calls after being on hold for an hour). I have yet to find work. I know the unemployment bureau has enough headaches, but there should be some sort of ‘no more unemployment benefits- help! what do I do now because the jobs ARE NOT out there, so I guess I’m moving into my car…..’ one-on-one assistance. This stress is not healthy.

9. Lisa says:

I think the CDLE and the state are focused on denying valid claims rather than helping people survive. The recession is becoming worse in Colorado every month with unemployment rising and wages declining. The CDLE should be reorganized and the governor should start firing employees.

10. colo lost jobs says:

They should work longer hours. If all those call in’s at 7:30 are swamping the system, make them work more than 40 hours. Simple, more hours to provide for the applicants should mean more people served. Keep the lines open longer at least two days a week. The unemployed don’t stop being out of work after 4:30. Stay open at CDLE till 10:30 p.m. on Tueday and Thursday and see what happens

11. Vonda Lundstrom says:

I have been trying to get through the phone lines for over two weeks and haven’t even been able to get put on hold. I have one week left of benefits and all I am getting is minutes burned up on my cell phone. Now you have to imput information just to be told there is no agent available. The phones have been frustrating for the year and a half I have been unemployed and they haven’t realized that yet. And those poor reps have to pay for the frustrated people who finally get through when it’s upper management who haven’t had the insight to higher more people or find a better way to make the system work. I wonder if the supervisors take calls?

1. ableandavailable says:

Stop in and see one of the UI reps now in the work force centers. You may have to wait to see them; but, you see a real, live person and get your problem solved.

12. ocviolet says:

They are just trying to find ways to deny payment to eligible unemployed. This state sucks big time. Thieves in office. Hickenlooper is a boob.

13. Frustrated Jose says:

I have been trying to get through for about 2 weeks and don’t matter what time you call it says” ALL AGENTS ARE BUSY” and then it hangs up on you. So what are you supposed to do then? My unemployment was stopped due to a combined filing with Montana, so I transferred to Montana and their system was GREAT, they took care of me quickly but now have to reopen claim in Colorado and Oh my goodness it’s a headache! My thing is they want us to look for work but if we are spending many hours/ days just trying to get through then when will we be able to look for work!

14. mark says:

That report was a bunch of hog wash.it is atleast a 2hr wait on the phone and thats if you can get through.I have waited up too 6 hours.but what is a person to do,no other options,tried to email them and they dont respond to your emails.they need to update there website so that many more questions can be answered than what it is now.Maybe even have a town hall type meeting once a month in different locations to answer alot of folks questions and just maybe it will take a burden off the phones.

15. unemployed says:

I agree with everyone that the 2-3 hour wait is for those lucky few that actually can get past the voice recording saying all lines are busy and try back later but have to say that I file online and skipped the phone and have had no issues and super fast service. I highly recommend the online filing system and signing up for CUB online which shows your current claim status, etc. You can even refile for benefits online without having to call. I know this doesn’t help those with no computer access but for those with computers I would try it. Thanks.

1. Michael Coppock says:

The online computer side of this is great- I would agree, However there have been a few times since October when there have been issues that could ONLY be resolved by talking to an agent. I’ve experienced the 2 hour re-dial routine just to get into the 1-2 hour “On-Hold” status. The great/sad part is, the issue is something that they can usually resolve in less than 5 minutes… Why then does it take forever to get through? Oh that’s right, last year they hired more agents, only to lay them off a month or so later… AURG!!!

1. James says:

They laid off employees they desperately needed! Government at its best.

16. Barb says:

OF course it would help if CLDE had enough staff to handle the problems in the first place. They’re always underfunded and there are no lobbyists out there making sure this agency gets enough money…who’s going to make money from helping the unemployed?

17. Debra Gutierrez says:

You reported on the unemployment system,but no-one ever said what they were going to do to solve the problem.I have been waiting 6 weeks for my benifits, still nothing. Every time i call and finilly do get to talk to someone, I get a differant story as to why it is taking so long. Well i”m about to get thrown out of my home and cann’t find a job. It just seemed to me that the director didn’t care, she just keep saying was unacceptable, not how she was going to fix the problem. Maybe the state should hire some of the unemployed to help fix the system. And what does the governor say about this problem with unemployment, is he doing anything to help with the problem?

1. ableandavailable says:

Stop into one of the work force centers where UI reps are working now. You may have to wait to see one but they’re live and can fix stuff.

18. Katie says:

I’m writing this after being on hold for now 55 minutes. Was on hold last week for over 2hr. When I finally spoke to someone they said my issue would be resolved on this past Monday. Guess what , it has not been resolved. So………. here I am on hold again. I have not been paid in 8 weeks. Something needs to be done!

1. Krissy says:

Katie,
      I have not been paid in 8 weeks either. Thinking my benefits were done, I stopped requesting money (I knew I had at least another month). then I get a recording to file my next claim by Saturday or I will lose my benefits….I can’t get ahold of anyone as to ask them…what the hell is going on?

19. Sarah says:

The CDLE simply does not care! They want to be the worst. They strive for imperfection. The CDLE has been hopeless to reach for the last 4 YEARS! The CDLE is only good at denying legitimate claims.

1. CC says:

You’re totally right! My husband got laid off in 2009 and he got denying legitimate claims! He asked them but never get the answer from morons! LOL
      I’m his wife who is Japanese. He tried to find a job ASPS but fortunately, he had wait almost one year! I work at grocery store as a part timer, so my job doesn’t help to make a living. Do you have any idea a man had to take housekeeping job as temporary? He cried it out and so did I! But we had to survive at that time. Now he is working at delivery company. That is much better than housekeeping job, but our financial is still tough. We had to cut living cost, like TV. We don’t have TV for 2 years now. As I’m Japanese, I just don’t understand how come American companies keep having grossly incompetent employees.

20. Trish says:

I was laid off in 2008 – CDLE has been very difficult to reach ever since I’ve been acquainted with them. Hold times of 3 hours is common, and when you do get a rep, they aren’t very helpful. I found a part time position (12-15 hrs/wk, take home $150-200) and thought Great! Now the unemployment benefit will stretch longer — WRONG! I was notified that due to an error in the CDLE office, I had to repay over $3000.00 – how am I supposed to do that on $200 a week?? They are taking me to court.

1. Susan says:

I also was told I had to repay monies. I would get one letter stating I was approved and then another the very next day stating I was not approved, and still received payment. I can’t tell you how many conflicting letters I have received. I have sent in information (several times) disputing the decision and have not received anything back! I have no idea where it stands right now and I am thinking years down the road I will get a letter from some sudit saying I owe Colorado money. It is a joke!

21. SImon says:

CBS4, now is the time for you to ask the CDLE the hard questions like: “Why don’t they care about the unemployed?”: “Why do the CDLE career employees not care about performance?”; and, “Why does Governor Hickenlooper allow a state agencies to be a national joke?”

22. Rob says:

I have to call CUB line at 12:00 a.m. on Saturday ,even when I call at this time I have to keep hitting redial because CUB line is busy at midnight.
    I have been able to talk to agents after waiting for a minnumium of 2 hours. All of the agents say thay are under staffed and they were expecting more cut backs. I have left Mrs. Golombek at least 5 messages and she has never called back.
    I also filed a claim in eraly 2010 but was put back to work right away. Then I was laid off from the same job in Sept.2010 but CDLE would not start a new claim because I filed in March. I tried to get the CDLE to make my claim start in Sept. but all I got was a run around.
    Bottom line, the system is flawed and only governed by DUE PROCESS. That in it’s self means WE CAN”T CARE

23. Robert says:

E-mail CBS4 and ask them to do a follow-up story.

24. Dee says:

DITTO!! I was going to comment on “Lucky you to be put on hold!! I was prepared to wait a couple of hours on hold. Hasn’t happened yet!

25. Elizabeth Hamilton says:

When I was unemployed last year, I had the unemployment office as a contact on my cell phone and called contstantly for a week without being able to get an answer. Finally I decided to call just before 5pm and planned to stay on hold all night until the next morning if possible. Finally my call was answered because the office does not close at 5pm and the other calls stopped coming in. I was so surprised when the call was answered that I broke into tears and all I could do was cry for the first few minutes. It was the most fustrating experience of my life to be able to get a call answered from unemployment. This system is broken. Rather than pay people to sit home, why doesn’t the State hire the unemployed to help others so at least the phone calls get answered?

26. Susan says:

This is an example of how a land line pays off. Cell phones don’t cut it when you’re dealing with government offices. I believe there are good people working at CDLE. That said, the overwhelming volume tries the most patient of people on both sides. The fast redial function on my land line will go down as one of the best features a phone could have.

1. ocviolet says:

Take it from me, Susan, I have worked for the state in various capacities, and they are the laziest group of people I have ever seen. I did the job of three people and they always dumped more on me. I never refused but said “sure, I will try to get to it” but never did. Better to just not get to it than refuse and they always took it back. Best advice is never give 100 percent because then they expect it all the time. The State of Colorado needs to fire everyone and start all over. Get rid of PERA pensions for these schlubs and make them pay into social security like the rest of us do. Take all PERA money and put it into social security. Yes!

27. Jim says:

Please CBS4, do not let this go away. We don’t have a voice(can’t even get through to be heard) A camara in their face, asking the question as what are you doing and what was the result. Doing this daily or at the least weekly puts people in place to be accountable. Right now all I see is the excuses for the low ratings with out any solutions, and then no acciounting as to whether any thing is being effective. Please, CBS4 don’t let this story go. Example, go in on Monday, ok this is what was reported last week , what have you done to improve? And the repeat this every Monday.

28. Hopeless says:

“Where we are today is not acceptable and our goal is to move into the acceptable range.” HAHAHA! Donald Mares said the same thing the last four years!

1. ocviolet says:

Golombek is a first class liar. I helped a friend of mine file and she tried to several times before. The website is sloppily set up if you say you had any work comp case in the past three or five years and even if you are not receiving that work comp financial benefit, they will not let you file for your unemployment. Unemployment righteously owes her since her original application date July 2, 2011, because they would not allow her to complete because of the bogus work comp question during which they freeze an application process. I got around it by saying no and she finally was able to file at the end of September, thereby losing benefits for all of July and August. They know they owe her the money but continuously deny it. I told her to get an attorney but she won’t. Hickenlooper is the most sickening fool to ever stand in the office of governor. He sucked as mayor and he sucks worse as governor. Impeach him.

29. Diane says:

TWICE now I have been given incorrect information by CDLE operators who just could not care less. I find that only about 50% of the workers there are cognizant of the fact that unemployment is our ONLY source of funds, and to cut it off arbitrarily based on Colorado’s draconian unemployment laws destroys lives – and credit records. I have had 2 such interruptions in the past few months, and both times has ad to endure the 300+ dials to just get into the queue to speak to someone and then the 1/50 to 2 hour wait time to actually speak to a human, just to get someone who does not care enough to get the CORRECT answer to the problem!

30. TEKA says:

Ok, did anyone ,who has left these comments, know that the unemployment office is staffed primarily by people who were previously on unemployment? You think that solves the problem? Let the unemployed run the office? Maybe its because of idiots like Debra G above who can’t spell worth a damn occupying the office who don’t know what they’re doing. Or how about the people who make mistakes themselves by not calling into the CUBLine on time or too early that have to get their claims re-opened due to their own ignorance on not calling when they’re supposed to. Does anyone here realize that that kind of mistake is what ties up the phones lines for up to 3 hour waits? You blame the unemployment office employees for having the wait times. Has anyone thought about that? The reason behind the queue being so overloaded. It makes it extremely hard for the people to get through that have serious issues that they need help from customer service with. Or how about people being careless with their PIN numbers and losing them so they tie up the phone lines to get another one sent to them. Or how about people being too lazy to get up and go the library if they don’t have internet access at home to check on MYUICLAIMANT.COM to answer 70% of the simple questions that they have tying up the phone lines. The blame is being put on Colorado when in essence the blame needs to be put on the idiots occupying the State of Colorado. Get rid of the dummies and then the ones who are smart and have issues that are really “NOT THEIR FAULT” would have an easier time getting through to speak to someone when they need help obviously because the phone wait times would go down drastically if that were to happen. But in the meantime just keep blaming Colorado and the unemployment office.

And if you are offended by this message then its must mean that you are a prime example of what I’m talking about.

I worked there and after answering phone and doing application I was completed floored by how many people lack intelligence. Simply put, being required to ask the question, “GENDER”, countless times the answer was, “I live in Fort Collins” or “80525”. SERIOUSLY COLORADO???????? An incredible number of people want to be babysat and have the staff do everything for them. Do you want them to dress and feed you as well? This only applies to the idiots. There are many many people who are intelligent and don’t deserve to have to go through what they are with their claims but they go through it moreso because of the idiots that take up the phone lines.

I agree with the Director, there are some things that are unacceptable but the unemployment office should not be held accountable for all that is going wrong. Colorado needs to stand up and take responsibility for the things they are doing themselves.

1. Intellligent yet Unemployed says:

Just one question for you. Are you currently employed? I understand the frustration it can cause by having to “deal” with less intelligent individuals on the phone. Yet at the same time the general public has to deal with the same issues on their end of the phone line i.e…. follow the correct prompts have all the information needed speak to a live rep and be told that you will be contacted in 3-4 business days for the issue you called for in the first place jump thru all the hoops get to a person just to restart the process all over again. SMH it’s a large problem the state and it’s residents are having, that needs to be rectified.

1. Sarah says:

She is one of the worthless CDLE employees.

2. mike says:

How dare you say that the unemployed are incompetent! Who are you to judge?! I cant wait until YOU are unemployed and in our shoes trying to collect money I have paid in while having a job. So because my employer decided to fire me I should go hungry? My children should go hungry? Lady…. YOU should go hungry and you lack of mental capacity just goes to show that people LIKE YOU are the ones who are destroying others lives. I highly doubt that you can say you are proud to have worked for such a run down agency. Shame on you!

3. ocviolet says:

First of all, anyone who ends a sentence with the preposition with is ignorant in my book. Stop defending the incompetence that you seem to find acceptable. You sound like a State of Colorado employee!

Face it, Teka, the State employees are incompetent and people filing should not be expected to have complete knowledge of State systems. As one who was employed by the State of Colorado, I know whereof I speak. So take your sarcastic behind out to the woodshed and kick yourself three or four times until you can be civil in your comments. You are not helping the situation and your English skills are lacking. Grammar and writing are at the level of a fourth grader.

Take a pill and chill out.

4. Doug says:

I’m offended because after blowing off some steam you then drop to cursing. Wow! Way to get your message across. Have you ever gone out to eat in a restaurant? I have run many. So, based on your way of thinking; the last time you complained about how something tasted or was cooked I should have replied that you were a stupid idiot that was too lazy to cook based on the fact that you were in a restaurant and if you had a problem with it maybe you should check your education and/or upbringing. Cause if you all would just shut up then I could make my money without working for it. Eat my shorts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

31. Jill says:

I was on hold with unemployment over 100 minutes. I got disconnected then had to keep redialing to get back through. At one time an Agent told me I should get my Unemployment money on 5/10. The very latest I’d get my money is 5/23. I haven’t been paid since the beginning of April. They don’t have enough Agents to look over people’s claims who are moving into another tier. I called again on 5/11 again got disconnected. Redialed. Agent told me that there was a code that was preventing me from getting my benefits along with thousands of other people were having the same problem. There’s no excuse for this what’s so ever! Especially being on hold longer then 100 minutes more then once. They even told me by the end of this week they should be done going through people’s claims who haven’t been paid on April 2nd? WHAT?? Get it together already people……It’s already tough for people just even trying to get a job.

1. Sarah says:

This is the kind of story CBS4 should look into. People count on UI Benefits to survive and the CDLE is ALWAYS behind on payments.

32. Mr Trumpe says:

Look at this woman’s face. She is smiling all the time while she is claiming…
    “this is not acceptable”. SHE NEEDS TO BE FIRED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. ocviolet says:

I agree, Golombek is a political appointee. That is how it works in the State system. She is one of Hickenpooper’s sweeties, I bet.

2. Craig Buckley says:

Fired? Yeah. Check this evidence out, as well as the rest of the pustings at scribd.com under dreamstonevictim.

33. Lori says:

I look forward to becoming a 99er. Not having to deal with CDLE will be quite enjoyable. CBS4 needs to ask why CDLE never replies to emails, either. I have been sending emails through the web site since 2009 and have yet to receive a single reply.

Does anyone actually measure CDLE employee performance? For all we know, the phone reps could be making excessive personal calls while on the job.

34. Calliope says:

Oh Brother – WAKE UP PEOPLE… It’s NOT the employees at the CDLE that are the problem… it’s the LACK of a BIGGER staff to do the work! Thanks to our Colorado government cut-backs for the CDLE staffing. The CDLE Denver Call Center has like 75 cubicles for answering phone calls, and under half of those are filled with people! They work very hard and are NOT making ANY personal phone calls… everything is monitored and performance measured. Ask your Legislator to vote for MORE CDLE funding instead of blaming the hard-working people at CDLE. *eye roll*

1. ocviolet says:

Calliope, Please don’t tell us that we should be providing jobs for more incompetent people like you! What kind of circus name is Calliope? When I worked at State Motor Vehicle, I was actually expected to answer the phone and take care of business helping people. There were only fifteen of us in the call center but we did our jobs and did them to the best of our ability. That was some time ago and now we have the great unwashed working at the State. Sometimes a caller cannot even understand what an employee is saying because the accent is so thick. Get a clue and do your jobs and we won’t complain. LOL.

2. mark says:

It is not staffing. California has 20 million people and 12% unemployment and it does not take 3 hours to get thru. They do not have 2000 people in the call center. It is sheer incompetence. I filed on November 20th and here I am on December 27th still waiting after receiving letters of benefit approval on 11/27

3. Doug says:

More government. Wow kiss my behind!!!! I’m looking for working government!

35. Jorge says:

Lets do some simple math. 130,000 claimants are unemployed. If just 5% of them need to talk to a person on the phone each week that is 6500 calls per week.

Some more simple math. The department of labor and employment has 1122 employees. These employees are divided up into 5 divisions of which I beleive the biggest 3 are Workers Compensation, Workforce and Unemployment Insurance. Given that these employees are spread among all the various divisions of the department I would be highly suprised if there were more than 400 people working on Unemployment insurance. Since the program deals with both employers and former employees (aka claimants). Therefore it is very likely that at least a % of the employees working in Unemployment insurance deal primarily with employers and others deal primarily with claimants.

So for ease of math I will assume a 50% split and 100% efficiency. IF there is 200 employees dealing with claimants on every portion of their claim at 100% efficiency (aka no support staff of any kind and 100% of time and resources spent entirely helping claimants without breaks etc) then each person would be entirely responsible for 650 claims each. That would also mean that if only 5%… in any given week had to contact that division then each person would be responsible for answering 33 calls per day. I saw the video as did many of you and I can tell you there is no way in hell there are 200 individuals in there answering the phones. I would say from the video there are likely no more than 50 people in there answering the phones. I would say given the simple math of the situation that they seem to be doing things far more efficiently than you would expect of that number of individuals to be able to do despite being ‘overwhelmed’. One of the days the system will recover back to a ‘normal’ economy where the same number of people may be able to actually handle 100% or close to it the number of claims presented to them. As it is I highly douby that only 5% of claims have issues that need to be handled in any given week…. I also having done the math wonder how many calls in a day those folks in the call center really do handle… its looking like they could be handling up to 100 per day. Or divided into an 8 hour work day about a call every 5 minutes without stopping. In my book that kind of dedication should be rewarded and not used as a target.

1. James says:

Said the Lazy CDLE employee.

1. TEKA says:

Obviously that was too much math for you to handle James!! Haha, yet another dumb customer!! What Jorge said was completely true. I wonder if you would be able to handle 650 claims ALL BY YOURSELF in just one week? Lazy or overloaded. You made it painstakingly clear that you are no good with math so how about multiple choice? Comments such as yours prove the point about the abundance of ignorance but since you are no good with math, then let’s just assume that you are no good with intelligent words either. That means you’re a dummy. D-U-M-M-Y!!!!

2. Jennifer says:

Teka, another lazy CDLE employee.

3. Bob Dobalina says:

Teka, why don’t you stfu. You give all government employees and the percentage of people that work hard at CDLE a terrible name. There is a reason you no longer work there temp. Go away. You are a terrible human being.

2. ocviolet says:

You are making huge assumptions and obviously are a shill for the State of Colorado. Take care of the people in the State of Colorado that you are supposed to serve and stop making lame excuses, Bubba. You are mistaking us for people who care about your problems. Do the job for which you are collecting salaries.

36. Cate says:

My experience was unique. I received my unemployment exactly when it was due to arrive; I was able to file online very easily and the monies were always in the bank when they were supposed to be. The Broomfield Workfoce Center was very helpful and using http://www.connectingcolorado gave me lots of leads.

As for the call center, I had no experience with them directly, but I do know that if you give someone a bad time and bash them while you are on the phone, you are going to interfere with what really needs to get done. Computers are available at your local workforce center if you don’t have one and additional training and resources are there to!

1. ocviolet says:

Your positive experience is a rarity with Broomfield as attested to by the people responding to inquiries about problems. Please go away and stop lying.

37. Bob Nappi says:

For every one who has a complaint, here is a suggestion: If you have a problem with your UN-employment benefits, get up early, go down to the main office, wait in line to see someone (bring coffee). They will take GOOD care of you on the spot and you will get relief within a week. It truly is worth the wait and has worked for me several times. There is another way to get through also E-mail Ellen.Golombek@state.co.us they respond to this also. I am also collecting UN-employment so been there done that! OH! One more thing, leave the attitude at home it really does not help the situation.

1. Joe says:

Tried all those suggestions several times in the last year Bob. None worked! Do you work for the CDLE???

1. Jill says:

Tried all those too for months. None work!

2. ocviolet says:

Bob Nappi is a CDLE employee. He is too glib with the responses.

38. Rick Garcia says:

WHAT ?? DOES ANYBODY THINK THE BORDER HAS ANYTHING WITH HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT,,,LOW WAGES ? THEY FIND JOBS ,,MILLONS OF JOBS…peace

39. jeff says:

how do you even get to the hold queue once you get through???

40. Carlos Suazo says:

or YOU CAN CALL THE EMERGENCY LINE AT 303-318-9080 IT’S A 2HR WAIT ON MONDAYS N TUESDAYS BUT ONLY 30MINS ON THURSDAY AND FRIDAY AND IT’S NEVER BUSY… SORRY CDLE PEOPLE NEED ANSWERS

41. TEKA says:

For Bob Dobalina. You are obviously an idiot. Go suck on some rocks! Your choice of words gives only representation to yourself. I guess I’m a terrible human being that helped out thousands of people on unemployment while I worked there and received several compliments from people who went out of their way to write letters just to let it be known how much I helped them and the appreciated me for it. If that’s how you feel and think about the employees that work their tails off and neglect their own families to stay and answer calls, do call backs, correct computer issues on claims AND WITH NO EXTRA PAY to help someone such as yourself who is too stupid to know any better, then so be it. I hope you made yourself feel better by leaving that comment because all you did was give yourself a bad name. What a way to respresent yourself!!!!!! GO BOB DOBADUMMY!!!!
    For Jennifer, That’s your only comment?! Too lazy to write something intelligent apparently. If that’s all you have it would probably be in your best interest to just stay quiet, you don’t know how silly you made yourself look. Everyone that saw that just laughed and laughed and I do have to admit that it was pretty funny!!!

1. TOM says:

TEKA, you give state and CDLE employees a bad name. Is this all you have to do at work at the CDLE???

2. ocviolet says:

Teka, you are an arrogant curseword.

42. Not Amused says:

Ease up there typical government employee. Nobody gave you a commendation for ironically pointing out grammatical errors while using comments littered with grammatical errors. Your on a website berading the people you claim to have helped. Pretty sure thats why every person to comment on your nonsense has pointed out your shortcomings. With no extra pay? Cmon. Everyone that works there gets paid overtime to stay extra hours. Stop acting like you and your cronies wouldnt sue the state if you stayed one extra minute and didnt get paid for it. Unfortunately with certification and state protection rights there are tons of unintelligent slobs that work there just like you. Sorry to hear you are currently unemployed but the world needs ditch diggers too.

43. Mommyof2 says:

SO!!! ive got a genuine question here…besides the obvious struggle the CDLE is having w the call time…was anyone recently NOT PAID? i was supposed to recieve my deposit last week and still have not. when i call in it says this is said amount we owe you…then tells me that i need to speak to someone. when i try to do such, i get a “due to the high volume” blahblahblah…and thats the end of my call. ive been getting this for a week and now facing some serious problems due to my non-existent funds. im trying to keep cool, but starting to freak out because no where can i find out ANY info on WHY i havent recieved it and reeeeally need to speak to someone…anyone have feedback please?

1. Mike says:

Citizens Advocate Office.

44. Bob says:

I don’t know if this is the right place to put what i’m to say ,If not please someone tell me where to put it or go to . i need to current a over payment that the unemployment office is responsible for and that they want me to pay it and will not lesson to complaints of or their mess ups that had happened from their own faults of their not looking into a person’s cases before giving out EUI. oh , lets not get nasty about me talking about employees of unemployment office nor the unemployment wrongs,if you do work for them the why not do job and help me out with getting to the person that can help.

45. Mike says:

They should ALL be Terminated and Unemployed.Total waste of Taxpayers money. A dog chasing its tail.FUBAR.

46. David Bushman says:

This Colorado System is a joke. They work out in a bunker not like other unemployment offices in other states. I waited for 2-1/2 hours on my cell phone. Over a three month period of not collecting, I finally found out I had to collect in another state. One phone call-10 mins-problem of collecting unemployment “solved”, thank you other state. Three months I had to wait for my money because I could not visit in person and talk to someone in CO, what are they hiding. I thought our government were to be open– not hiding behind a door?

47. ocviolet says:

One word, Revolt. Thousands should show up at unemployment office just to make a statement. Watch them call out the local police with tear gas. Colorado, a police state that is incompetent except to bully people.

48. ocviolet says:

Is anyone surprised that Colorado is below par at such a high percentage level? I am not and I worked at The Department of Law, State Department of Revenue, two universities and other State of Colorado offices as a State employee. The people there are primarily hispanic and don’t want to work. The few black employees and whites do the majority of the work and are harassed because they are outnumbered. I am telling the truth about the situation. They punish the good employees and reward the bad. I received all sorts of customer service awards and complimentary letters from people I assisted when reinstating licenses at Motor Vehicle (Revenue).

Take away PERA benefits and make them pay into Social Security. Also, the job protection is obscene. They need to be fired and replaced regularly when they don’t do their jobs.

49. christopher says:

I file work attached unemployment every year and 1 day before rent is due now i have no claim and when i call it says everyone is busy,tells me there is 8,000 dollars there, but no open weeks havent been paid in 3 weeks!!! I PAY MY TAXES!!!!!

50. Sam says:

Channel 4, it is time you investigate the Colorado Dept of Labor again and do another story about them. This is ridiculous. Sitting on the phone trying to get through to their customer service is impossible. If you should happen to get through and put on hold, you are disconnected anyway. Two straight days of dialing and not being able to get through.

I filed for unemployment 6 weeks ago, and they still haven’t sent me the paperwork or my PIN number. Which means no unemployment benefits. How are people supposed to live with a labor department that cannot mail the proper papers or even answer their phones.

51. Craig Buckley says:

Ellen Golombek is useless… to a point. Our home is in foreclosure because my former employer, Dream Stone Marble & Granite decided to swear simultaneously to BOTH the Weld County District Court, and the Colorado Division of Labor that neither had jurisdiction over my accrued wage claim, because the matter was before the other.

Dream Stone Marble & Granite had been determined, as a matter of law, by the Colorado Industrial Claims Appeals Office, to be an, “abusive environment”. At the time Dream Stone forced my termination, I was owed 40 hours of accrued wages. Dream Stone CEO< Scott Murphy's response to my demand for wages due was, "F*ck You!".

I sued, and Dream Stone lied to the Court, stripping me of all relevant evidence necessary to prosecute my case, a mere 16 hours before my scheduled deposition. Their attorney, Daniel T. Goodwin, of Donelson Ciancio, and Goodwin, P.C. had worked a fraud upon the Court, and I, through Motion For Protective Orders (Denied) had refused to submit to deposition by an officer of the Court whom had worked a fraud upon the Court. The case was dismissed, they were fraudulently awarded attorney's fees, and Dream Stone marble & Granite, Ron Murphy, Scott Murphy, and Ida Murphy, through their criminally complicit attorney, Daniel T. Goodwin immediately slapped a spurious lien on my home.

We are now in foreclosure as a direct result of the aforementioned parties felonious acts.

I had begged known-corrupt Weld County District Attorney Ken Kuck, the Weld County Sheriff's Dept., the Longmont Police Dept., the Frederick Police Dept., Attorney General John Suthers, and CDLE Director Ellen Golombek for help for months, with no results.
    Finally, as a result of the bellifgerence and negligence of those public servants whose sworn duty it is to protect the People of the State of Colorado,I was forced to contact the Employers directly, demanding that they release the fraudulent lien from my home. Ken Buck immediately through me in jail for harassment, and I was released on a $10,000.00 bond, believed to be the highest ever, for alleged commission of a Class 3 Misdemeanor.

All parties who have caused/attempted to cause the destruction of my family, and the loss of my home will be named as defendants in, what i guarantee will be a massive, and highly publicized Federal Court Case. This outrageous government conduct will not go unpunished, and I will be seeking damages in excess of $3 million dollars. Ellen Golombek could have helped, but chose not to.

See relevant evidence here: http://www.scribd.com/dreamstonevictim

52. Dave P says:

Please follow up on this story. Thing shave NOT gotten any better. I have been trying for days to get through to the, Just today in 2 hours I have attempted to get through 225 times. All I get is tat they are sorry and there is noone available to help me. I have not been paid in 2 months. Credit cards are maxed out, car payments are late, I have $13 in my checking account. The amount of time I spend calling them is increasing my phone bill and I lose time I coul dbe job searching. This is unacceptable. Please help and follow up on this.

53. anthony says:

Ok, after feeling the frustration of not getting through to the CUBLINE to speak with a human being about my exhausted benefits I went to one of the county workforce centers and got CLEAR DIRECTIONS on how to resubmit my claim for extended benefits ONLINE! Go to http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDLE-Main/CDLE/1240336821467 Once on the home page select under the first category labled Unemployment Information select “Manage My Claim” (being you are already in the system). This will take you to another page on the site that will have another category on the left hand side titled “Apply for EXTENDED BENEFITS” Select this option and a smaller Pop Up Window will appear titled Colorado Unemployment Insurance Internet Claims Filing System — Select the Continue To New Claims Filing System button and it will take you to the page you need in order to refill out some basic information for your extended benefits to continue. Fill out everything as accurate as you had initially and truthfully. Do NOT exit the application until you get to the last page that will issue you an Confirmation No. This application process will also give you a date for you to make your next CubLine Call in order to ensure you receive your next payment on time. *If you read this post PAST 2/29/12 You have missed the TIER 1 Deadline and will have to follow the instructions that fall under the TIER 2 Category for your extended benefits. I hope this helps out alot of frustrated CubLine Users.

54. John says:

2 months, no benefits. My employer had used an incorrect # for my SS#. No change in my status with CDLE…. my REAL status has changed… I have been evicted, on food stamps now, all savings gone. Just pu my last $25 into my gas tank…. 1/4 full now.

Still no answers from CDLE.

Please Channel 4, do another story!!!!

55. Employment,unemployment,Employment definition,Employment statistics,Employment development department,Employment guide,Employment security commission,Google employment,Employment applicatio says:

Tremendous things here. I’m very glad to see your post. Thanks so much and I am looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?