cbs4

Local

2 Arvada Firefighters Suffer Serious Burns

Fireworks Found Near Home That Caught On Fire
View Comments
The fire started in the home at left and spread to the home in the foreground. (credit: CBS)

The fire started in the home at left and spread to the home in the foreground. (credit: CBS)

Get CBS4 News Updates In Your Inbox

Sign up for News, Sports, Broncos and Health Emails.
Sign Up

ARVADA, Colo. (CBS4) – Two firefighters who were hurt in a blaze Sunday morning in Arvada will spend at least a day or two in the hospital.

The fire started in the overnight hours and destroyed two houses. It broke out at a rental home at 6555 Union Street after neighbors reported hearing fireworks and a loud explosion. Winds then spread the fire to the home next door.

Both firefighters got burns “to their upper extremities” and are expected to survive.

For a short time 15 homes were evacuated as a precaution while Xcel Energy shut down gas lines in the area.

Investigators said they recovered bottle rocket fireworks in the street that had been set off. It wasn’t immediately clear if they were related to the blaze.

The six people who lived in the first home and two who lived in the second home got out okay.

The couple who lived in the second house are permanent, long-term residents of the neighborhood.

Neighbors said the residents of the first house were having a barbecue party Saturday night.

Additional Resources

The Colorado Professional Fire Fighters Foundation has started a fund to help the firefighters who were hurt. Donations can be made to:

Colorado Professional Fire Fighters Foundation ATTN: Arvada Fire Fighters
2342 Broadway
Denver, CO 80205

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus