Roofing Customers Hung Out To Dry As City Wide Closes

DENVER (CBS4) – After decades in business a local roofing company unexpectedly closed its doors, leaving several customers out thousands of dollars.

The victims say they’re shocked because City Wide Roofing scored top marks from consumer guides. City Wide also had an “A” rating with the Better Business Bureau. But 3 days after signing a contract with the roofing company and paying for the work, Debra Kendle learned there was trouble. A note on the company door states the company is no longer in business and is filing for bankruptcy.

“Eveything may be clean and look wonderful, but realistically you’ve got to trust your gut instinct, and my gut instinct is what saved me $10,000 in this project,” Kendle said.

Kendle wrote a $10,000 check to the roofing supply company for the materials needed. She wrote on the back of the check it was specifically for supplies for her home. Now that money is safe with the supplier.

Kendle did write a second check to City Wide for labor costs. That $4,600 is gone.
space Roofing Customers Hung Out To Dry As City Wide Closes

Buzz Frankel, City Wide’s former general manager, told CBS4 in addition to writing a separate check to the supplier, be sure to set payment terms. He suggested not paying labor costs until the work is done.

“Great companies and good people hit walls like this,” Frankel said.

Frankel worked as City Wide Roofing’s general manager for 2 years. He said late insurance checks created a cash flow problem. City Wide also had a loan with Solera National Bank. Court papers show the bank claims City Wide misrepresented itself when the loan was executed. The bank now demands its money.

“The line of credit being called due early actually created this crisis,” Frankel said.

Comments

1. junie says:

I wrote the check dated the day of mterial delivery. No delivery, stop check.

2. Joe Bockrath says:

Home Depot installs roofing and its current plan requires no money down and 12 months before a payment is required. From the worlds largest home improvment company, this is the reason our customers asked us to install the larger projects that they could not do themselves. Don’t risk your home to the lowest price- ask forthe Peace of Mind Warranty from Home Depot. Get it done right!

3. andrew buhrmann says:

I paid for my supplies and City wide never paid their creditors. Now their creditors are coming after me! They are putting a lien on my home and demanding payment even though I had made the payment months before they filed for bankruptcy.

1. shellyg says:

ANDREW… Call the supply company attorney… They will help you!!! I Just got my lien released if I cooperate in their lawsuit.

4. CynthiaL says:

I would like to see Alfred Farias go to jail.

5. Roger Davis says:

If you decide to use environmentally friendly materials to take advantage of the Federal Governments tax credits, I suggest you talk to your tax professional about the details. Some of the tax credits require that the project be certified to qualify.

Ft Worth Roofing Services

6. alquiler vallas publicitarias says:

Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here to return the prefer?.I am trying to find issues to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to make use of a few of your ideas!!