Safeway Pharmacy Gives Pregnant Woman Abortion Drug

FORT LUPTON, Colo. (CBS4) – Safeway said it will pay for a pregnant woman’s medical expenses after allegations that a pharmacist mistakenly gave her a drug that can induce abortion, instead of the antibiotic she was prescribed.

It happened at the Safeway in Fort Lupton.

Mareena Silva reportedly took Methotrexate. She thought it was her prescribed antibiotic.

That drug was reportedly prescribed to a patient with a similar name.

Silva is six weeks pregnant, and doctors say she could miscarry.

The Colorado Pharmacy Board is now investigating. Safeway sent CBS4 a statement, which reads, in part:

“We are redoubling our efforts to ensure that all our pharmacists follow the strict policies and procedures we have in place to prevent medication errors…had that procedure been followed, this regrettable error could have been avoided,” the statement reads.

According to the National Institute of Health, Methotrexate may cause very serious side effects. Some side effects of methotrexate may cause death. You should only take methotrexate to treat life-threatening cancer, or certain other conditions that are very severe and that cannot be treated with other medications.

Comments

1. vdirschl says:

It’s scary that this woman is going to be a mother and can’t even take the time to read her own rx bottle. What on earth will she do when she has a baby?Please! Use common sense and quit blaming others and think Law Suit..
    I read bottle as soon as I get it home. not after I take a pill. DUH!

1. amy says:

This woman is not to blame! Common knowledge does not include drug names. I would bet that the general public, medical personnel aside, does not know the difference between methotrexate and something like cefazolin. We trust in the pharmacist for that reason!!

1. Rikki S says:

The article said the bottle was given to her instead of the person it was intended for. The Rx had a label with someone who had a similar name. You don’t have to know drugs, just your own name in this one. The mistake was most likely not the pharmacist, but a tech/cashier who gave the lady the wrong bottle.

2. mdrxphi says:

You are a moron, look at her name, she’s probably a Hispanic and most likely don’t know how to read English.

2. Ahnukah says:

They probably put the wrong pills in a bottle with her prescription name on it. The mistake was her not looking at the pills. They could have looked very much the same.

3. steve says:

vdirschl you assume that the bottle was labeled correctly. I am usually the one championing the “This nation is way too litigious” call. However this is not one of those cases. You rely on your pharmacist putting the correct pills in the bottle. Even if the label was also incorrect the report indicated both medicines had very similar names. This was an egregious error and we should have sympathy for a women who may lose her unborn child. I am glad you have never made a mistake and always read your labels you are a better person then most. Try to help others by imparting some of your superior knowledge.

1. already55 says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the young lady. We rely on the pharmacy to give us the right medication. If we were educated on their job, we would be doing it. I myself would have no idea what an antibiotic pill, etc. should look like. Especially if I rarely take them. Give the poor woman, who may lose her child, a break.

4. Jerry Young says:

Have you ever seen the names of some of these medications? They can be extremely confusing. Some medications have similar names with greatly different applications. To say that it is this woman’s fault is ignorant. When I take my car to a mechanic, I do not tear the engine apart to make sure that it was fixed correctly. There is a certain amount of inherent trust that people have with the medical community. Sometimes that trust is misplaced as in this very sad case.

5. John says:

I know I can’t keep up with all my med name changes only god knows any more

6. John says:

It helps if you speak English ???????????

7. kay says:

well safeway will be happy to fire another employee,hope the young mother and baby are alright

8. dorothy says:

i work in healthcare and am familiar with many prescription drug. But if my prescription is labeled incorrectly there is no way i would be able to tell.

9. jdhJr says:

Guys …. it’s not the name of the medication that was wrong or the wrong pills in the bottle. THE BOTTLE HAD A DIFFERENT PATIENT’S NAME ON IT! She took the pill without even noticing that it WASN’T EVEN HER NAME ON THE BOTTLE!

You know what? More her fault than Safeway’s. Yes Safeway has some blame, but for goodness sake look at the bottle!

10. Jefe says:

Oh my gosh you guys! The pharmacist gave her the wrong medicine!!!!! He has a responsibility in his position!!! So very horrible on so many levels! It may kill her baby!!!

11. JT says:

Lawyers are going to be lining up for this one! Open and shut case! SAFEWAY BLEW IT!

12. A LEONG says:

I AM A PHARMACIST. MANY TIME, THE PATIENT WHO PICK UP THE MEDICINE WILL NOT SPELL OUT THEIR LAST AND FIRST NAME. THEY WILL EVEN GET MAD AT YOU FOR BEING STUPID NOT KNOWING THEIR SPELLING OF THEIR NAME. I ALWAY KEEP TELLING THEM THAT I AM NOT STUPID BUT MAKING SURE I GIVE OUT THE CORRECT MEDICNINE TO THE RIGHT PERSON. THEY ALWAYS LOOK AT ME FUNNY. THEY WANT YOU TO BE FAST AND PICK UP THE MED AND GO HOME. YOU HAVE TO READ THE MEDICINE BOTTLE BEFORE YOU EVEN ATTEMPT TO TAKE THE MEDICINE. THE DIRECTIONS AND YOUR NAME,. YOU DIO NOT BLINDLY TAKE SOMETHING WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT. THAT IS STUPIDITY. MED CAN BE DANGEROUS WHEN AND CAN CAUSE DEATH. YOU MUST READ READ AND READ AND DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTIME. #1 IS EITHER THE CLERK OR THE TECH GAVE OUT THE NEDICINE, PHARMACIST RARELY WAIT ON THE CUSTOMER UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY. PHARMCIST ONLY PARTLY AT FAULT. MAJORITY THE FAULT REST WITH THE PATIENT WITHOUT READING THE BOTTLE TO MAKE SURE IT IS FOR YOU NOT SOMEONE ELSE. YOU HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBLY FOR YOUR OWN ACTION AND CAN’T PASS YOUR OWN STUPIIDITY TO SOMEONE ELSE. 80% YOUR FAULT AND 20% THE PHARMACIST FAULT. PHARMACY IS REALLY BUSY AND CAN’T CHECK EVERYTHING, AND YOU HAVE TO SPEND SOME TIME RECHECKING WHAT YOU PICK UP.

13. PATSY D HOLLIDAY says:

I DON’T KNOW ANY DOCTORS THAT WOULD SEND AN AMBULANCE TO A DRUG STORE TO PICK YOU UP. THEY WOULD TELL YOU WHERE TO GO…HOSPITAL, URGENT CARE, WHATEVER….BUT THEY DON’T ARRANGE TRANSPORTATION FOR YOU.