Ventilation Causes CO Sickness At Hockey Tourney

GUNNISON, Colo. (AP/CBS4) – Firefighters say an ice cleaning machine was the source of the carbon monoxide that sickened 54 people at a youth hockey tournament in western Colorado.

Gunnison fire marshal Dennis Spritzer said Monday that the indoor ice rink’s ventilation system failed, causing it to recirculate the polluted air rather than pull in outside air Sunday.

Firefighters are trying to determine why the system’s damper failed to open and have contacted the company that made it.

Eight of the people who were sickened were hospitalized in serious condition. It wasn’t immediately known how they were doing Monday.

Lauren Johnson and Mackenzie Guttormson were two of the people who got sick. They spent hours in a hyperbaric chamber to restore their oxygen levels to normal. Johnson’s mother, Judy, recalled a funny smell and coach Eric Guttormson said people were collapsing in the lockerroom.

space Ventilation Causes CO Sickness At Hockey Tourney

Spritzer said the city-owned rink didn’t have carbon monoxide detectors but the devices will be installed before it reopens.

He said there haven’t been any previous problems at the rink, which opened three years ago.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Denver

Marijuana In Colorado: Talking With Youth

Listen Live

AM/FM Stations

Featured Shows & Multimedia