GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (AP) — Investigators believe a fire at St. Mary’s Hospital that injured a patient and an employee was intentionally started by a cigarette lighter.
Grand Junction Fire Department investigator Joe Cordova told the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel that the case will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office for possible criminal charges.
Fire crews responding to the fire in a patient’s room late Monday night found heavy smoke in the hallway in an area of the hospital that houses oncology patients.
A sprinkler system extinguished the blaze.
A patient in the room suffered was flown to a burn unit in Denver, while a hospital employee was treated at the hospital and completed her shift.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)